secret santa

max fixed her hair in the mirror, wanting to look at least a little presentable before going to answer the door. as she walked down her hallway, she looked through all the photos in frames that el had checked out a few days ago.

her heart was racing for secret santa, this year was going to be different. she knew it.

the door was knocked on once more, growing impatient.

max spun the lock, opening the front door.

"lucas." she sighed. "come in."

----

secret santa

4 days until new years eve

el waited anxiously, leaning against mike's kitchen counter as she practically watched the front door. both max and lucas were late, by an hour. mike and dustin tried ringing the both of them but no answer at all. she bit her thumb nail in anxiousness, the only thought in her head was; what if max doesnt come?

"straight to voicemail." dustin said, removing his phone from his ear. "should we just do it a different time?"

"they do this every year, suprised they arent back together." mike huffed, leaning next to el.

"really?" dustin scoffed. "max told me they were officially done, like done done."

"max is soft." mike said, pushing himself away from the counter to go look through the fridge.

"there's some left over cookies in the pantry if you kids want any." karen, mikes mom, offered when she entered the kitchen, also to her surprise she only saw three of them. "you guys didn't invite max or lucas this year?"

el sighed, she wish she knew half of the stuff mike and dustin were talking about. it was obvious, her belonging in the party wasn't exactly up to...how do i say it. she wasn't as important or knowledgeable of past experiences. but really, she just had to take it step by step, hopefully next year was going to be easier for her; secret santa was nothing, imagine what could happen on new year's.

"they are late, again, misses wheeler." Dustin informed her; he never really gave up on calling her mrs. wheeler, although she had tried to correct him numerous times, he still did it.

"dusty, what did i say-"

"im sorry misses wheeler, i just cant help it."

mike rolled his eyes and closed the fridge, sending dustin a glare before making his way back to el. he watched his mom exit the kitchen; knowing dustin would go straight to the cookies once she was officially gone.

el rested her head on mike's shoulder, watcing the oven clock go up by slow, painful, minutes.
part of her felt guilt, leaning against her boyfriend as she waited for another to arrive.
but she thought it was a little okay; considering that nothing was going to happen between them. maybe.

"mmmph." dustin groaned, shutting his eyes as soon as he tasted mrs. wheeler's cookies. "phis is soff gfood." he said with half a cookie in his mouth.

"disgusting." mike joked, finally he cracked a smile all day.

"are they really that good?" el asked, also smiling.