Chapter 25

The aftermath of the little stunt she pulled in the middle of the park is a lot less worse than Y/n was expecting.

Sure, the first couple of times they hang out together is an absolute nightmare.

Their friends start smiling and giggling whenever Sana so much as sits next to Y/n, but Jihyo puts them all in their place one night when Dahyun starts squealing loudly over Y/n brushing an eyelash from Sana’s cheek, and the teasing stops after that.

Lisa doesn’t talk to her for two days after the barbecue, sour about the fact that Y/n kept this from her for such a long time but more upset that she told Jihyo before her.

Y/n can understand why she’s mad, but it only takes a sincere apology and some greasy take-out food over RoboCop playing on the TV to win her heart back.

Things seem okay.

Her life is going well.

And that scares Y/n more than anything else, because it’s like she’s just waiting for something bad to happen and ruin her luck.

-

"Sana! Where are you?" Y/n groans into the phone, squinting her eyes to protect them from the rain pouring down on her. "The shop is closed and I left my umbrella in the bus and it’s raining cats and freaking dogs!"

Sana's laugh is muffled, backed up by other voices. "Look I'm sorry, I'm on the bus I'll be there in three minutes."

Y/n hangs up without saying another word. There's no shelter on this street whatsoever, except for a tree a few feet away but she knows better than to stand under a tree when there's a thunderstorm. She slides her backpack from her shoulders and holds it over her head, her heart breaking a little knowing that her books might get soaked if Sana doesn't hurry the hell up.

-

There isn’t much in this world Y/n is good at, but she definitely is a pro at losing her umbrellas. She leaves them in the library, in the bus, borrows them to a friend and never gets them back.

It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that in her two years of university life, Y/n has bought and lost at least twelve umbrellas and the number just keeps going up.

Y/n hears feet splashing over the wet pavement and turns her head to squint in the direction of the person jogging towards her.

"Y/n!" Sana sounds out of breath when she comes to stand still next to her, her hair wet by now too. "Shit, I’m really sorry, I’m so late."

Y/n grumbles to herself and wills her teeth to stop chattering as she watches Sana fumble with the keys for the shop. "Where’s your umbrella?"

"Don’t have one." Sana glances at her as she pushes the door open.

"Idiot."

Sana grins and Y/n tries to ignore the strange emotions washing over her when their eyes meet.

It’s so much warmer inside and once Sana closes and locks the door behind them, a lot more silent too, the thunder and rain only a dull noise in the background.

"Y/n, you’re soaked." Sana says after switching on the lights. "You’re going to get sick."

Y/n pulls her drenched jacket off and hangs it over the cold heater. "You guys don’t have any towels here, do you?"

"We do!" Sana’s mouth forms a big O, like an idea just popped up in her mind. "Just wait here."

Y/n feels miserable. Everything is wet and sticking to her skin, even her socks are soaked. By the time Sana comes back from the bathroom she’s only wearing her jeans and the damp shirt.