Chapter 10

It has been about a week since Buck was admitted to the hospital. He was now on a ventilator to help his lung heal, and was put into a medically induced coma. We we're aloud to see him now, which was nice. He's been in and out of conciseness the past few days, and said he didn't mind if guest came and saw him. It was a semi normal day, well with how normal it can be without Buck being there. After my shift I went to go see him like I usually did now, I talked to him about what had been going on at the fire house, and what Audrey was doing that day. I had agreed to take her in while Buck was in the hospital since Maeve apparently had to much stuff going on in her life. Chris loved being with her, and Carla was happy to look after both of them while I was at work.

" Hey Buck it Eddie, um let's see, Audrey has started to really progress on rolling over by herself. She is now sleeping through the night for the most part. Chris has been loving helping with her, and he also got all A's on his report card. We all miss you so much Buck. Please... Keep fighting. I love you and I'll come see you tomorrow. Goodbye buck." I said, squeezing his hand and leaving a card for him that Chris had made.

As I was heading out I noticed that Maeve was standing near the front desk with two other people I didn't recognize.

" Hey Maeve" I said as I got closer it where she was.

" Hey Eddie, I thought you were on shift still." She said, heading over to the waiting area.

" Yea we got off early, and I thought I would come see Buck for a bit before going home to the kids."

" How is he? " Maeve asked.

"Also who are you?" The woman asked, looking confused.

" He's doing basically the same. Oh forgive me, I'm Eddie, and you are?" I held my hand out.

" I'm Evans mother, Margret, and this is his dad Phillip." She said, shaking my hand.

We sat there talking for a little bit before I had to get going home to Audrey and Chris for dinner. " It was nice to meeting you two, but I have to get home to the kids." I said, waving bye to both of them.

Once I got home, I sat there for a few minutes before I actually headed inside. I thanked Carla for watching them, and updated her on bucks condition because she asked. Both of the kids were asleep, so I ended up just sitting on the couch until one them got up. Audrey was the first to get up, which really didn't surprise me all that much. I headed into her room, picking her up out of the pack and play.

" Good morning Audrey" I said, bringing her down stairs for some food.

Chris woke up a few minutes later, heading down the steps and joining me and Audrey in the kitchen. I made him up a small little snack, and asked him if his homework was done, aswell as what he had done that day. I did the same, telling him about how Buck was doing, and how my overall work day was. After I put the kids to bed, I got a call from the hospital. Buck was awake. I was so happy, he was ok, everything is ok. I called Carla to see if she could watch the kids, updating her on what was going on.

( Bucks POV)

There was something stuck in my throat. I slowly opened my eyes, panicking a bit as I couldn't get the tube out. Tons of nurses came in and took it out, which was a relief. My throat was super dry, and it hurt. But it wasn't bad compared to the rest of my body. I was told that I would need to be in the hospital for maybe another week before I could potentially be discharged and go home. I would need to be on crutches or in a wheelchair for about a month with tons of physical therapy until I could possibly be able to gain back my energy and ability to do my job.

" Are you open to guests?" The nurse asked before she was about to head out.

" Actually yea sure." I said, hoping that it would be the 118 or the kids.

It wasn't. The door opened reveling Maeve, and my parents. I froze I hadn't seen them since I was 18 and I left them behind in Pennsylvania.

" What do you want. " I said, keeping my eyes glued on the wall near them.

" We're here to see you Evan." Margaret said, inching closer to my bed.

" There's no Evan here. It's Buck now." I said, moving away.

" Don't be silly honey, your name is Evan, has been since you've been born."

I looked over at Maeve. " Hey where's Audrey?" I asked, ignoring Margret and Phillip.

" Shes with Eddie, don't worry, he's taking good care of your daughter." Maeve said, smiling at me.

" Ok. There's no doubt that he wouldn't take the best care of her." I said, laughing.

" I'm a grandma?" Margaret asked, looking at me.

" No. I don't even know why your here. You weren't even a parent when I was younger, how could you even think that I would allow you to be a grandma to her." I said, leaning back in my bed. " Now please leave."

She put up a little bit of a fight with going out, but nothing that hospital security couldn't handle. I was relieved that they were gone, and I ended up just sitting there waiting for more people to possibly show up. I don't know what I was thinking though. They were all either on a shift or had the day off. Why would anyone want to visit me right now. I knew that Eddie would be by a little bit later since he texted me, and that he was glad I was up. I thanked him for taking care of Audrey for me, and for just overall being there for me. I drifted off to sleep a few minutes later.
---------------------------------------------------------