Chapter 2

Present Day

Everyone on the team knows me as always being cheerful and bubbly. It's a lot better than how I actually feel right now. I've gotten good at pretending to be happy for others benefits, I mean I've been doing it since forever it seems. Maybe its just better that way, maybe I'm just better if I keep the shield up and not let anyone see any weakness. It's better that way, I cant be hurt by anyone, and I cant hurt anyone that way.

" Evan " Eddie shouted, everyone looking over at me.

I came back from my thoughts, sitting at the table in the firehouse.

" Huh. What is it?" I asked, getting up and getting a cup of water before sitting back down.

" You ok?" Bobby asked, concern showing through his face.

" Yea, I'm fine cap" I said, taking a small sip of the water and leaning back in my chair.

" Ok" Bobby said, sounding like he was questioning my answer.

The rest of the team continued eating the breakfast bobby had prepared. I only got a little, not feeling that hungry. Even that I was really just picking at. Then the alarm went off.

After 5 hours of fighting the fire at a warehouse a few miles away, we finally got back to the station. I helped bobby finish packing up the breakfast from earlier that day, trying to focus my full attention on what I was doing. Once everything was put away, the whole team was sitting at the table, playing cards.

" Buck, wanna join?" Chim asked, moving the stack of cards from hand to hand, waiting for my answer.

" Um.... Sure" I said, sitting up in the chair.

I really didn't feel like playing cards, I only did it to pass the time, and keep my mind off off of zoning off. We sat there, playing cards until the alarm went off. Another emergency.

This time it was a fire at a work building, there were tons of people standing outside. Including kids. There was a daycare on one of the floors for the workers kids to stay while there parents were working. I volunteered to go in and do a sweep for anybody who was still inside, Eddie came in with me. We moved quickly, checking every single nook and cranny that we could find for anyone, yelling out as we went on.

" EDDIE " I yelled out, finding a young women trapped under a piece of the building that had crumbled on top of her.

Eddie got there quickly, helping me try and get her out form under the rubble. When we finally got her out, Eddie and me put her on a gurney and brought her out to where Hen and Chim were helping the others.

" No, please you need to save her, please." She said to me once Eddie had gone to grab some supplies.

" Save who?" I asked. Others had swept the other floors, and found nobody else who was alive.

Chim had come over, looking over her, listening to her lungs and heart. As he looked over her, his face turned to concern.

" Buck, we have a problem. She has just given birth." Chim said, looking up at me.

I quickly got up, running back into the building, bobby yelling something at me as I ran by. I didn't quite hear what he said, to focused on trying to find the baby. I looked over the whole floor before I saw a trail of blood. I looked around, running to where it was coming from.

" Shh its ok, I've got you, I've got you' I said to the little tiny baby, clamping off the umbilical cord that was still bleeding, and picking her up carefully, clutching her close to me and rushing out. She wasn't crying or breathing.

As I was getting out, I looked over her for any cuts or Injuries she could of gotten, trying to clean out anything that could of been in her mouth, and trying to get her to cry and breathe. As I got closer to an exist I brought her closer to my chest, blocking her from any flames or rubble falling down.

" Buck I swear if you ev..." Bobby started to say, stopping once he saw the baby in my arms.

" HEN, WE NEED YOU NOW" Bobby yelled, running over to hen.

I quickly handed her over to hen, she quickly went to checking her all over, putting the oxygen mask over her mouth. I didn't want to leave her, but I knew she was in good hands. I went to see how her mother was doing. I looked and looked, not spotting her anywhere.

" What are you looking for Buck" Eddie asked, looking around where I was.

" Have you seen a young women, maybe 25? Um blonde-ish brown hair, green eyes, she was right around here when I left." I said, still looking over the small group of people sitting on the ground, none of them looking like her.

" Yea I think she was taken to the hospital in the most recent round of ambulances, she seemed to have some very extensive injuries. Why are you looking for her?" He asked, looking down at the clipboard in his hands.

" Well, I thought she would like to see her baby" I said, pointing over to where the tiny baby was.

" Oh." Eddie remarked, both of us walking towards Hen.

" Ok, um all of the ambulances are taken with other patients, um Buck do you mind holding her for a second?" Hen asked, picking her up.

" Yea, of course" I said, gladly taking her, bring her close to me again.

I held her while everyone loaded up into the truck quickly, following behind them all. We quickly headed off towards the hospital, she was breathing again, but for how long? We kept having to give her oxygen on the way over.

" Buck how is she looking" bobby asked, looking back from the seat in the front of the truck.

" She's looking better. How much longer till we're there cap?" I asked, concern in my voice.

" Two minutes out" bobby said, looking back out the front window.

When we finally got to the hospital, we were met with a crowd of doctors, all ready to help everyone who was coming by. I handed the little girl over to a doctor named Dr. Manning, fighting the urge to go past the glass doors and follow them. That was the rule " Don't go past the glass doors. "

" Buck, you coming?" Chim asked, halfway in the truck already.

" Yea." I said, keeping my eyes on the baby for a second before getting in the engine.

Once we got back to the station it was late, we all ate some leftovers that were in the fridge, heading to get some sleep. I checked my phone, seeing that I had missed a call.

" Maeve?" I said to myself quietly, questioning why she would have called me.

Me and Maeve hadn't talked for a while, basically ever since I moved to L.A., we both went out separate ways since then, texting each other every so often, but not frequently. We both had our own lives, and grew apart shortly after she joined the Navy when she was 18.

I sent her a text saying, " what's up? Did something happen? "

I waited for a bit, leaning on the railing. Everyone else had gone to sleep, it was just me standing in the kitchen all alone. After about 30 more minutes of waiting, I went to sleep.