{ Chapter 1: Unexpected Miracle }

A black-haired girl could be seen sitting in a chair in front of a counselor as he asked her something she's been wondering for a long time.

"Do you ever think you were destined for greatness?"

She glances to the side.

"I mean before you became a guidance counselor? Like, maybe you wanted to be a fireman...really save lives." she said.

"I do save lives, Danika Nightingale." he replied.

"Here's the thing, I have no idea what I want to do with my life. Besides working every day after school, I just... feel like I've been missing my purpose."

"Have you ever talked to your parents?"

Danika gets uncomfortable.

"They're not... the type to listen to my dreams and words. They just want me to work. And I have no friends..."

The counselor pulls out the papers and looks at them.

"It says here that you're a 3.8 student. Certainly, you have skills to do what you dream of, Danika." he said.

"That's the thing. My parents are just... holding me back. Plus, I don't know what kind of career I want to be." Danika sighed.

He sighs after giving her a moment of sympathetic attention.

"I don't know what to do to help you, but know this. You're a grown adult already and you should be focusing on yourself and not your parents."

She gave this some thought and realized he was correct. However, she is unsure of her ability to do so or of her confidence in facing them. Later, while other students could be seen dining together either inside the cafeteria or outside, she was sitting against the tree reading the book "Soul Surfer" during her lunch break. Other students are laughing, conversing, and even playing games as she looks over and sees them.

Oh, how she wants she could be a part of this, if only she didn't have so many schedules to keep up with. which is doing a job to support her parents' financial requirements because they won't work. She seems to be the lone responsible adult looking after two pampered brats. She wishes it were different since it has been that way for a long time, ever since she was born. If it weren't for her parents nagging her to prioritize work above pursuing her passions, she might have even wanted to start a profession. When the bell rang, she quickly saved the page in her book and dashed toward class while still carrying her backpack.

Unbeknownst to her, an owl with a black and grey coloration could be seen perched on a branch of the tree she was leaning against and watching her through their red glowing eyes before taking flight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Danika was crossing the street after school when she saw a group of pals smiling as they left the building together. After that, she witnesses other parents picking them up from school as they embrace warmly. As she sighs and observes the contented individuals with devoted friends and family that she will never have, time appears to slow down. She works nonstop and never has the chance to do what she wants or take a vacation due of her idiotic, brainless parents. Danika inhales deeply before beginning to sing.