19: Workaholic

Heidi Fisher, of Volturi fame, wore a red satin jumpsuit. Flowing, revealing, regal. Dolce&Gabbana, naturally. Something to draw attention to the black velvet corseted bralette peeking from behind red satin ribbons, and then to her hips where the red material gathered in shining drapery. Her heels were black, they were tall, they were the moment. Heidi was the moment, as she always was. Her mahogany hair fell in waves about her face, slightly disheveled. It was, at one point, part-way pinned up. She found the black jeweled comb on the back of her head to be distracting, so she took it out. It was rare an occasion when Heidi wore anything relating to trousers, she preferred the less restrictive freedom of a skirt. Yet, she found herself in a rush to get to where she was going.

Heidi's perfectly manicured nails ran through her hair, tossiling her waves further. Her deep, red lips were pursed to a thin straight line. She tisked, rolling her eyes. Her attention then returned to the paper list brought before her. On it; listed names of guests who stayed far past dinner. An account to be sure all where, in fact, accounted for. They were, obviously. Save for one.

It wasn't her job to dig through the mangled bodies in search of every single mutilated face to a name. No. No, Heidi had people for that. At times, however, she found it beyond frustrating that despite her best efforts she ever had to take on a more hands-on approach. She already managed so much. Intricate networks, lines of travel, and fraud and deceit. It was exhausting, finding the Volturi their fests. But someone had to do it. Heidi had to do it. Which was not something she was aware she would have to do when joining her coven. It wasn't a passion of hers to be gawked at, objectified as a means to an end. The fact that her objectifiers were, in the end, killed... only served as proper recompense for a few beginning years. Now, Heidi was tired. And yet, still strangely aggravated when someone did not notice how beautiful she was.

These moments when she found herself standing nearby, in the stale smell of death and evacuated human waste, were not her favorite moments. But, at least no one here stared as mortals did. She clicked her tongue, tapped her foot, and moved her thumb which held the driver's license against the clipboard. The echo of her tapping reverberated off the walls enough to mingle in equal to the more distasteful sounds of her subordinates. Two searched through the bodies, examining each face as they went. Some were frozen in half screams of terror, others were hardly put together. All were at least somewhat recognizable, that was something Heidi insisted on.

A subordinate guard in grey robes threw a small woman over his shoulder and stood. He approached Heidi, the cape of his lower guard uniform catching against the watchband of some older gentleman towards the top of the pile. The thing broke apart as the guard kept moving. Gold metal pieces of the band clattered against the white tiles like little bells, and the watch face landed glass down. Engraved on the back: Timeless. 08/22/79. It was cheap, not real gold at all.

Heidi lowered the clipboard to see what the guard brought her. She figured she could remember his name if she tried, but at the moment she couldn't be bothered. He had black hair, slicked back, and the body in his arms of the wrong woman. He lifted the dead human's head for Heidi to garner a better look. Heidi exhaled a small breath through her nose. She shook her head.

"Her face is fuller than that. Her hair coils, it is short, it is copper... Open your eyes. See." With that, the man went back to looking. Heidi muttered to herself in disapproval.

Aro had been in that same room only an hour before. Usually, this was already cleaned long before now. His nose wrinkled as he entered, he held a perfumed handkerchief to his face in hopes that the scent of wisteria might overpower the room's odor. It helped little.

Notice of his arrival brought cease to the guard's searching, and the third next to Heidi stood at attention. They bowed, causing Heidi to turn. When she faced Aro's approach she too bowed, holding the clipboard to the side and her hand upon her chest.