16: Fumble

"I should apologize." Taylor's voice carried clear over the sounds of running water. Momentarily, as if Taylor would see the motion, Marcus looked toward her. Only to be greeted with a bathroom door. Slightly cracked, steam pooling from within. He returned to his reading.

"And why is that?" He inquired, turning a page. A stapled bundle of business with numbers and figures that made Marcus' eyes cross. It was boring, easy, and distracting.

"I realize I was sorta... abrasive, before dinner. And I feel like I should clarify why because communication is important." She was slightly yelling, only slightly. Really she could've whispered if she felt like it. Marcus would hear her all the same, not that she was aware of this. Of course. Marcus chuckled.

"An explanation would be appreciated." He admitted, crossing his legs. With a squeak, the water stopped running. He'd have to take a look at the water fixture later. Without water to absorb her voice it echoed off the white walls of the bathroom. Sound waves traveled into the attached bedroom much faster than the steam had.

"Santiago talked to Brenner this morning. Well, not talked, basically threatened the poor guy. Scared the hell out of him." Behind his pages, Marcus smirked.

"Did he?" He asked, turning another page as Taylor gave a sound of affirmation. He tutted. "How rude. I'll speak to him on the matter later." Taylor's head poked out quickly. An amused brow raised above narrowed eyes.

"Santiago told me, you told him to scare Brenner off. Permanently." For less than a second Marcus glanced in Taylor's direction. All that was visible was her head, part of her bare shoulder, and a hand tapping an impatient finger against the door. Making small splashes in the condensation gathered there. Marcus thought not to answer, Taylor saw that. She tried forcing a frown through her amused grin, tilting her head slightly. Marcus relented.

"I suppose I now understand where Santiago's loyalties lay." An offhand comment that allowed Marcus to accept the accusations without admitting them to be true. Santiago's loyalty was not at all an issue, it was why he was chosen. Though, perhaps Marcus underestimated his place in Santiago's internal ranking. Taylor shook her head before retreating back into the bathroom.

"Brenner didn't deserve it, Santiago put the fear of God into him. He's annoying, that's all. Didn't need his life threatened for that." Marcus clicked his tongue.

"Sure, sure." He half agreed. In his time as an immortal ruler, many had been killed for less. Mostly by Caius' hand. But unlike Caius, Marcus didn't particularly enjoy bloodshed. He also lacked the temper Caius had. All Marcus did was issue a threat, he saw nothing wrong with that.

"I had Santiago apologize already, but he was sure to implicate you in the act as well. So, like..." Taylor opened the bathroom door fully, attempting to dissipate the steam. She stood semi-dry. In a thick white robe, tied tight at the abdomen. It hung past her knees. In her hands was a hair dryer. Soon that was plugged into the wall with a curler attachment clicked in place. Taylor paused before turning it on, facing Marcus. "I feel like Brenner is owed an apology." Marcus blinked.

"But, I am not sorry." He deadpanned. As Taylor looked upon him lounging in one of the small chairs pushed in a sort of reading nook, she sat a hand upon her hip.

"Why not?" She asked.

"He was making you uncomfortable."

"Since when do you speak for me?"

"Then, were you enjoying his blatant advances?" Marcus asked. When Taylor failed to answer he peaked over his papers accusingly. She huffed.

"No." She admitted. Marcus nodded, satisfied, before returning to his readings. "I still think you should apologize to him anyway. I could've said something- I was going to say something before Santiago stepped in." Marcus lowered his papers as Taylor set down the drier carefully upon the sink.