A NOD TO SAY GOODBYE

"What's that?"

The guard glanced at her as she asked the question. He'd been injecting something into all the tributes, who were currently on a plane being flown out to the arena.

"It's your tracker," he replied gruffly. He motioned for her to hold out her arm, immediately snatching it with a tight grip and placing the device against her skin. She suppressed a wince as she felt the pinch of the needle enter. She watched as the tracker briefly glowed before seamlessly disappearing in her arm.

He did the same to Atlas before heading towards their pilot. The two tributes worriedly looked at each other. Looking around, none of the tributes could contain their nerves-not even the careers.

"Brace for landing!"

Their time alive was closing in sooner than they realized.

Once they landed, their seat restraints automatically lifted. They were commanded to follow the guards as they were marched out of the plane. Directions were shouted to follow their escorts to the launch rooms.

Atlas and Lara walked down the District 9 hallway. They were relieved to find Cal standing between their rooms waiting for them.

He rushed to give them hugs, unable to stop himself. Although both of them knew they had to close themselves off, they relished in the last remnants of comfort they were offered. Even as he pulled away, he kept them at arms length.

"Trust your instincts," he advised, "Remember that food and water are your top priority."

They nodded, even though they'd all gone over this during breakfast. Lara and Atlas tried to be brave for Cal, putting on tough smiles to show they were okay-but he saw right through.

"Three minutes until launch."

Cal grimaced at the overhead announcement. He was reluctant to let them go. They knew he wanted to say more because he stumbled on his words, but it was hard enough to say goodbye as it is.

"We know, Cal. We'll fight our hardest," Atlas reassured. Lara nodded in agreement.

Their stylist, now close friend, readily smiled before once more embracing them. As soon as he let go, he caressed their cheeks lovingly before forcing himself to walk away.

The two tributes, now left in the silence of the hallway, stood in front of each other. Neither knew how to say goodbye.

"Just stay out of the way of the careers," she reminded, "Run and don't look back."

He nodded, but his eyes said otherwise. She was too distracted by her incoming panic to notice.

"Just try to win," he countered.

She nodded, and he went to stand before his door. But before he could enter, she grabbed his wrist and pulled him back. She instantly enveloped him in a tight hug.

He was surprised but took full advantage of it. It was exactly what they both needed in that moment.

"Thank you," she whispered, "I couldn't have made it this far without you to be my friend."

She squeezed him tighter and he reciprocated. He placed a hand on the back of her head and brought her in closer.

"You too," he said softly. He nuzzled his head into her shoulder, "You have to keep fighting, Lara. Even if I die, I'll be with you the whole way through. You have to win."

She felt hot tears pushing to the surface but she suppressed them. She gave him one final squeeze before letting go.

The two of them composed themselves as much as possible, sharing light smiles, before standing in front of their doors. They looked to each other one last time and nodded.