DISCONNECT

"Wait!"

The Peacekeepers shoved her in a secluded room immediately after their farewell to the people. Lara banged her fists on the door as the lock clicked behind her.

She was left alone for a near ten minutes.

Ten minutes to wonder how the hell she would get out of trouble this time.

This can't be happening.

She bit her nails and paced as the unbelievable passed through her mind over and over. Her name being announced over the town square sounded like a prisoner about to receive the death sentence. Her fear was soon replaced with worry, and then once more with anger.

She let out a guttural scream and pushed over the lamp beside her. She swiped at whatever objects had been laid out on the mantle of the fireplace. Glass crunched beneath her shoes.

"Fuck!" she shouted, mixing sounds of anger and despair. Tears streamed down her eyes as she no longer felt the need to suppress them. She was alone now, just as she would be when she died.

As she stewed in her emotions, she heard Atlas shouting and crying in the next room over, begging his parents to keep his siblings alive when he was gone. It made her wonder where her family was. Were they going to say goodbye?

Just as it had formed in her mind, the door unlocked and her mother tip toed in. Her head remained bowed, as if she would be a target to the guards if they saw her.

"Mom?" Lara trembled. Again, she refused to meet her daughter's eyes, but her hands shook with emotion. Lara's worry got the best of her, "Mom, please say something. Please look at me."

Her mother's shoulders shook but she wasn't crying. She lifted her head and grabbed Lara by the arms, pulling her too tightly.

"You go out there and show the Capitol that District 9 is still here," she stated, "We'll be okay without you."

That could've been the last time she ever locked eyes with her mother. The last time she spoke to her. The last time she would be held by her.

Lara tried to beg her to stay but it was too late. She'd already marched out with purpose and didn't look back. She left her daughter standing in despair, her words echoing.

We'll be okay without you.

Clearly all her efforts to keep her family alive were for nothing. They didn't appreciate her. In fact, the games was probably the best scenario for them to get rid of her without any mess.

No one needed her. No one wanted her. What was the point in winning the game then? To be a pawn for the Capitol?

Peacekeepers flooded in and took her by the arms, dragging her towards the door. Atlas was right behind her, pleading for more time with his family. But they forced the two tributes into the backseat of a car which was assigned to take them to the train station.

Lara was unnaturally quiet but Atlas' whimpers could very clearly be heard in the silence. It got annoying after five minutes of sniffling.

"Will you stop?" she snapped. His red eyes landed on her fierce ones, shocked that she had spoken.

He sniffed once more, "I'm sorry that it's hard for me to leave my family. At least mine actually cares if I live or die."

She wanted to punch him, but she didn't. She merely scoffed at his attempt to throw an insult at her.

"You get one chance at a first impression," she stated, "Crying makes you seem weak. And weakness gets you killed."

"I'm pretty sure it's actually someone's axe going through your head that gets you killed."

She looked out the window to control herself. She was finally in peace because his sniffling had stopped. They spent a glorious two minutes in pure silence until he broke it.

"I remember the first impression you made on me."

She rolled her eyes, silently wishing he would get the hint she wasn't into talking.

"We were probably eight, and you were running through the grain fields with an axe in your hand. You ran right into me; knocked me into the mud."

Lara tried to remember the moment he was recalling, but she'd run through the fields so often that she couldn't sort out the memory.

"You didn't apologize. You just kept running, taking down as many stalks of wheat as you could without a care," he bitterly chuckled, "Your dad screamed his head off when he caught you."

It suddenly clicked. She remembered the day as the time when her father nearly broke her arm from how tight of a hold he had on her whilst scolding her. She was left with purple and black bruises for weeks after.

She never went running in the fields after that.

"What are you doing?" she snipped, "What are you trying to do?"

He shrugged, "I'm trying to humanize you. Trying to get to know the girl behind the curtain before we have to kill each other."

"That's the exact opposite of what you should be doing. You should disconnect yourself as much as possible. It'll make it easier."

The buggy came to a stop and she hopped out before the guards could grab them again. They were both lead to the stairs that ascended into the train. Even from the outside, they began to marvel at its sophistication. Living in such poor conditions left them in the dark when it came to luxuries the Capitol had on the daily.

Lara tentatively took the first step inside, her lungs tightening at the sight. Shiny, new furniture littered the room within, surrounded by a glass bar and full dining table. The floor and curtains were velvet carpet that gave the room a cozy feeling.

Atlas stepped in behind her, having the same breathless reaction. They were ushered inside completely, followed by their reaping announcer. The doors to the train sealed shut and they immediately began to move at a high speed.

The tributes saw their last glimpse of District 9 in blurs of yellow and green.

Their announcer briefly explained that they were headed towards the Capitol, and that they should make themselves at home. Lara and Atlas warily sat down on the leather seats across from each other as they were left alone.

"Do you think we can do it?"

His question came out in a whisper but it was the only thing she could hear. The only thing she'd been repeating in her head.

She glanced back at him, searching his eyes. There was a glimpse of hope in them, begging her to give him some inner peace-whether it was true or not.

But that's not how she worked. She merely shook her head and locked eyes,

"No...we will never win."

•••••••