REAPING

"Next!"

Lara could feel her heart pounding as she discreetly rushed home, bypassing all the Peacekeepers at the town square. Reaping Day was always especially chaotic, so it was easy for her to slip through the crowds towards her home.

She was supposed to be in line with the others that were waiting to be checked in, but she'd been handling some under the table business-that being her secret negotiations to gain food-which took a little longer than expected.

When she reached the wooden floorboards of her crumbling home, her mother instantly began her scolding. Her father was barely able to keep himself upright because of the alcohol that poisoned his body, but he somehow found enough strength to latch onto her arm and trap her between himself and the wall.

"Where have you been girl?" he barked, "We don't need any peacekeepers coming this way because of your shady ways."

Her wrist shook from the pain his grip caused. Her voice shook for entirely different reasons.

"We're almost out of grain. I was just trying to get more," she explained weakly, "Reaping day makes people anxious; makes them loosen their prices to get rid of buyers quickly."

Her father huffed and hit the spot on the wall right beside her head. She flinched and turned her head to avoid staring at his hazy eyes.

"Stupid girl," he muttered as he pulled away and began to trudge towards her mother.

Lara merely bowed her head and scurried past without saying anything more. She splashed cold water on her face and threw on the only formal outfit she owned in a matter of a minute.

Her eldest brother stopped in the doorway of their room and scoffed at her.

"You must have a death wish."

He knew Lara had business manners she attended to so that they'd have extra food. Despite her family's warnings, she'd ignored them. But when Elias had been caught doing the same a few years ago, his parents beat him nearly unrecognizable. In his fit of jealously and rage, he'd anonymously reported his little sister to the Peacekeepers, who added her name once more into the pot of potential tributes for every infraction she committed-on top of the amount of times she'd traded for tesserae.

But her family needed food-and it was a price she had to pay.

He reached to pick at her dress collar, to which she resisted smacking his hand away. But the disgust on her face made clear what she thought of it.

"I'd rather die adding my chances of being reaped than of starvation. You and I are the only ones providing for this family."

"And if you slip up even once, you'll condemn all of us. Great plan," he remarked.

She simply ignored Elias as there was no point in arguing with him unless she wanted to get beat down. Of course, she'd try to fight back but a fight between the Foraye's never ended well for anybody.

She slid past him and followed after her mother and father. The family hurried to be at the ceremony lest they be punished for not attending.

Lara, being the age of seventeen, was the only one eligible to be chosen as a tribute. She moved to the check in line as the remainder of her family stood in the square with the rest of the adults.

"Next!"

The man in front of her held his hand out expectantly, waiting to prick her finger. She allowed him to do so, as she'd been doing for the past five years. Her blood smeared against the paper and she was herded into the female side with the rest of the potential tributes.

Everyone waited in anticipation, buzzing with nervous whispers. The girls around her were all in near tears. But Lara simply clenched her jaw and took deep breaths to steady her worries.

All chatter ceased when the mayor of District 9 approached the microphone.

"Welcome, citizens of District 9," he greeted solemnly, "On this day of reaping, we commemorate those who have represented us as victors, and those who have fallen."

He began to list names. It was a widely known fact that tributes from District 9 hardly ever made it to the top five survivors, let alone were able to win one. There have been a few occasions, but not many...and those were a long time ago.

Once he finished, he handed off the announcements to the official selector. It was a woman dressed in bright colors, and her voice matched exactly what she looked like-complete with a positive ring to her airy and shrill voice.

"The time has come to select one man and woman for the honor in representing District 9 during the annual 68th Hunger Games."

Everyone collectively held their breath.

"As always...ladies first."

Lara could feel her palms get sweatier as the woman stuck her hand in the drawing pot, swirling around for a slip of paper.

Once she had her pick, she flourished it in the air, moving back to the microphone.

"Your female tribute for the 68th Hunger Games...Lara Foraye!"

She couldn't breathe. All the released sighs of relief from the others didn't aid in her ability to function. Her eyes zoned in on the woman as everyone turned to stare at her. While they had all held hands, she was completely stranded.

This can't be happening. I take it back. I'd rather starve to death.

Her frantic eyes moved back and forth we between those around her. Girls she had gone to school with avoided her gaze. A choked gasp slipped past Lara's lips.

Before she had time to truly process or break down like most tributes did, Peacekeepers tugged at her arms to pull her into the open aisle. She had no choice but to move her feet as she was lead up to the stage.

The announcer wrapped an arm around her lightly before giving her a short round of applause. Each clap echoed in her head like the sound of the death cannon. The one she'd be proclaimed dead with.

This can't be happening.

Every video feed was directed on her. She saw her chest rising and falling faster, but still no air came to relieve her. She searched for her family, but as she did so, she caught her father trying to sneak back out to go home. Elias, after glancing at her with the smallest of smug smiles, followed after him.

Her mother refused to look up.

How pathetic she must seem; looking terrified like every other tribute whose name had been called before. Lara clenched her jaw and forced herself to remain still. This was the first impression she'd have, and she couldn't afford to look scared.

Fortunately, the attention diverted from her to the announcer as she picked from the male pot.

"Your male tribute for the 68th Hunger Games...Atlas Hearst!"

Lara's eyes immediately landed on him. They'd gone to school together since they were children, but were never close. The boy, timid and in shock, was also pulled out by Peacekeepers and marched to the stage.

Together, the two tributes stood with false bravery, overlooking what was likely to be the last glimpse of their family and friends.

The announcer made them shake hands before placing her arms around both of their shoulders, "Your tributes for the 68th Hunger Games!"

She once more began a short burst of applause, one that was only met with solemnity of the remaining District 9 citizens. The two tributes remained frozen at the lack of hope their peers had.

The announcer awkwardly chuckled and gave her final remarks,

"Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor."

•••••••