9

'Team: meet behind the Hard Deck today for training

'Team: meet behind the Hard Deck today for training. Be prepared for Dog Fight football'

Rooster stayed the night after dinner. I must have gotten the best sleep I've had in a while. The combination of his breathing, his warmth and his arms wrapped around me all mixed to make the perfect conditions for me to sleep.
As the text from Maverick came in the next morning, we both looked at each other with amused looks on our faces. I wonder what he has up his sleeve today. But I am not complaining. I get dressed in a sports bra, a tank top and jean shorts. Adding Rooster's Hawaiian shirt over my tank top and tying it at my stomach. I brush out my freshly washed hair. Rooster wanted to stop by his place before the Hard Deck so he gives me a quick kiss goodbye before dashing.
Something clicked in my mind, the Hard Deck is on the beach. I could grab my surf board. I grabbed my surfing bag and rushed outside to my truck. Putting my sunglasses on to block out the morning Cali sun. I tossed my bag in my back seat before walking into my garage. Where all of my surfing stuff, and my motorcycle, are stored. I choose my black and white board, with patterns like an orca. I lay it down on my table and start to wax it. Working in circles up and down the board. It had been so long, I was starting to get excited at the idea of surfing again. Since I haven't gotten the chance since I got home.
After loading my board on the back of my truck, I get inside and drive to the hard deck. I must be the first person here because there's only a few cars in the parking lot. I get out of the car, walking around to the back of the building. Mav was standing in the shade and checking his phone.
"So, what made you want us to play dog fight football, dad?" I asked. Walking into the shade and other to him.
He looked up and smiled once he saw me. "I had a bit of a talk with your father last night." Mav said.
"Oh really?" I crossed my arms as I made it to him.
"Yeah." Mav nodded. "I told him about how we were really struggling to be a team. And how Rooster wasn't too keen on learning from me." His voice got more serious. "And after that fight yesterday, I decided we needed to work more as a team. Because every one of you are acting like you are against of each other. Ice made me realize that in order for this group to perform better, you needed to feel like a team. And Ice suggested a team bonding game. Of course Dog Fight football seemed to be the perfect solution."
"Well, I'm definitely not complaining." I chuckled. "After yesterday, we need this. Desperately."
Everyone else arrived at the beach in their normal clothes. It was weird seeing everyone not in their green jumpsuits. Phoenix and I chat in the sand. Everyone else eagerly waiting to start the game. Since most of the guys were taking their shirts off, I wanted to. Since it was hot. I decide that I might as well. Taking off Rooster's Hawaiian shirt and my tank top. Putting my sunglasses back on. Seeing this, Phoenix must have decided to take off her shirt as well. My eyes turn as I see Rooster slipping off his shirt a few feet away from us. I bite my lip and I tilt my head down slightly, pushing my sunglasses down my nose so my eyes look over them. Surveying his back. Something I didn't see much of last night. I watched his arms as he balled up his white shirt in his hands. My lips purse and I wolf whistle at him catching the attention of Rooster, Coyote and Hangman's attention. Rooster chuckled and shakes his head. Throwing his shirt at me, which I catch with both hands. Hangman starts to flex for me. Making me chuckle a little even though I was still mad at him for yesterday. I roll my eyes behind my glasses.
"Hey, can you braid my hair?" Phoenix asked. Unfazed by the three dorks.
I nodded, dropping Rooster's shirt on the pile of my clothes. "Yeah, lets go to the shade." I say. I was bursting to tell someone about me and Rooster. I don't want to tell my dads yet. Not until I know what me and Rooster are.
Phoenix sits down at the picnic table. She hands me a hair tie and I slip it on my wrist before I start braiding her hair starting at the crown of her head. My hair was already up and in a half up and half down style.
"How was your night?" She asked.
"It was good. I uh, hooked up with Rooster." I say casually.
"What?!"
"Shhhh." She turned her head quickly, making the hair slip from my fingers. "Your hair!"
"Well, it's about time." She said, looking up at me. Before turning back forward. I had to restart her hair now. "You two have been attached at the hip since the first night at the hard deck. "
"No we haven't!" I say defensively.
"Yes you have!" She augured. We both laugh a little. I guess we have been attached since we saw each other for the first time in over two decades. "So, what? You guys went to your place and took out your anger for Hangman on each other?"
"What? No!" I said with a laugh. Even though it was a good way to blow off steam. "He came over and I was going to order us dinner but he wouldn't stop looking at me in a weird way. Eventually we, ya know." I finished the braid and tied it off.
She turned her head again. "Was he good?" She asked.
"It may have been the fact I haven't had sex since high school but yeah, it was great." I couldn't help but smile like an idiot.
She gets up from the picnic table. "Are you two a thing now?" Phoenix asked, putting her hands on her hips.
"I don't know. We didn't really talk about it." I say.
"I suppose you two didn't do too much talking last night anyway." She smirked.
Making us both burst out with laughter. But Maverick getting everyone's attention makes us stop and rush to him. Everyone huddling up for the game. He explained the rules to everyone and we were split into teams. Most of us pared up with someone on the opposite team to keep an eye on. Texas wasn't on my team so I focus on him mostly. Hondo was our ref and surprisingly, dad played with us.
At first we focused on the score. Phoenix, Rooster and I were all on the same team. But after a few games, we slowly stopped keeping score. Touchdown after touchdown, we just celebrated. None of us keeping track of who got what and who scored when. Ice was right. We needed team bonding and this was team bonding. Dad got knocked around a bit, getting hit to the ground. I turn to see if he's okay to see Rooster helped him to his feet. But just walking past him after. It's progress, slight progress. Dad then scored a touchdown during the next play
The ball gets passed to Rooster as the quarter back and I take off. But Texas wasn't focused on me and where I was going. My head turns to Rooster and he points at me, the ball is coming my way. He throws it and my eyes stay on it, focusing as I ran. my arms extend and it lands perfectly in my arm. I tuck it against my body and run. Scoring yet another touchdown for us.
We switched around a little. I played quarterback for a bit. The ball gets handed to me and my eyes drift upward. Rooster is open, kind of. But Hangman is running right at me. My eyes landed on a wide open Bob. Instantly, I point to him before throwing it to him. I don't even get to see of he catches it because what was in motion, stays in motion. And I'm tackled to the ground by Hangman. He was too late. By the sound of the cheering, Bob had caught it. My back hits the ground and I roll slightly. Stopping on my back with a groan. He didn't hurt me, but he's a god damn brick wall.
A shadow falls over me. "You alright there, Athena?" Hangman asked, looking down with a smirk on his face.
"Fuck you." I try to sound mean but it comes out with laughter.
He laughs too, flashing his perfect teeth. His hand extends out to me. I reach up and take it. He pulls me to my feet. I roll out my shoulders. "I didn't hurt you, did I?" He asked, half genuine but half in a joking tone.
"No." I say. "You just caught me off guard that's all." I rushed past him and back to the game.
     Don't get me wrong, playing dogfight football with the group is amazing. And it's hard to keep my eyes off of Rooster. But something else started to hold my attention. The waves looked beautiful. I just need to grab my board and get in the water.
    "Alright, someone take my spot." I say, walking away from the group.
    "Oh come on Athena! Not you too!" Hangman called after me.
    Mav had to sit and rest for a moment. He is getting older. I laughed and flipped off Hangman before rushing around the Hard Deck and to the parking lot. First, I grabbed my surfing bag, changing in the bathroom of the Hard Deck into my black bikini. I unhooked my board and lifted it from the truck. Then it's back to the beach. Running across the sand and to the water. Getting into the water up to my knees before putting down my board and laying down on it on my stomach. I began to paddle out to deeper. Duck diving under a couple of small waves to get out to the big ones. My eyes land on a wave building. I rotate my board and catch it, switching quickly to stand on the board. Riding it out. The adrenaline rush was just as amazing as I remembered. The wave wasn't the best but it was a start. Better to start off with smaller waves rather than diving head first into the bigger ones and getting overwhelmed.
     I sat up on my board after catching a few more waves. Pushing my wet hair out of my face. The sun felt amazing on my skin and I could taste the salt on my lips. I looked at the shore to see the group staring. I chuckled and gave them a hang ten before laying back down on my stomach. Paddling out more to catch a wave I see in the distance.
    I catch a few more but nothing too special. Sometimes you have one of those days. Then again, the time frame for a good wave could have passed when I was playing football with the team. I'm sitting up again. Straddling the board. My hands outstretched and I feel the water. There's a sixth sense surfers have. We can feel when a great wave is coming. I paused, staring at the horizon.
    "Come on..." I mumbled.
    That's when it hits, that feeling. Ones coming. I began to paddle again. Duck diving two waves before reaching the one. I stand to catch it and it couldn't be more perfect. Riding in the inner tube is an experience like no other. The adrenaline I get as a pilot will never match up to what I'm seeing right now. Nothing but water around me, the light of the sun at the end of the tunnel made of crystal blue water. With my left hand, I reach out and run my fingers through the water. Then, I broke through the other side. Surfing along the side of the wave. I hear cheering from the beach and I looked over. The whole group was standing and watching. I gave them another hang ten with my right hand. Maybe I should show off. I rip the edge of the wave before I had to dive into the water.