7

The white lettering on the screen reads 'Time on target -03:00:00' We're all seated in the briefing room with the comfy blue chairs

         The white lettering on the screen reads 'Time on target -03:00:00' We're all seated in the briefing room with the comfy blue chairs. Rooster and I sitting behind Phoenix and Bob. Mav stands up front. Now that we at least had some time working on dog fighting, it was time to learn more about our mission. We knew the basics. Just not what this would entail flying wise.
     "Time is your greatest enemy." Dad is the one briefing us. Standing up front. "Phase one of the mission will be a low-level ingress attacking in two plane teams." A schematic of a canyon appears on the screen behind Mav. A blue line shows the route we have to take, within the canyon. "You'll fly along this narrow canyon to your target. Radar guided surface-to-air missiles defend the area. These SAMs, are lethal. But they were designed to protect the skies above, not the canyon below."
      "That's because the enemy knows no one is insane enough to try and fly below them." Rooster says.
      I have a feeling, that is what we would be doing.
     Maverick turns to look back at us from where he was looking at the screen. "That's exactly what I'm going to train you to do." He says. Making Rooster look over at me for a moment. Giving me a look that reads 'is he serious?' To which I nodded. "On the day, your altitude will be 100 feet. Maximum." That made everyone exchange glances. None of us have flown anything like this before. "You exceed this altitude, radar will spot you and you're dead." The screen shows the jet flying above the orange line and being hit by the SAM. "Your air speed will be 660 knots minimum." Whispers could be heard around the room. "Time to target; two and a half minutes. That's because fifth generation fighters wait at an air base nearby. In a head-to-head with these planes in your F-18s, you're dead. That's why you need to get in, hit your target, and be gone before these planes have even a chance at catching you. This makes time your greatest adversary."
      Dog fighting is one thing. Flying at a low altitude, through terrain, at high speeds is a whole different story. We all struggled. Flying a route in our nav system that simulates the canyon. With intense Gs effecting our body, compressing our lungs, forcing the blood form our brains, impairing our judgement and reaction time. It all added up to the most difficult flying any of us has gone through. Even with the maximum ceiling of 300 feet and a three minute timer, it will still be incredibly difficult. And it showed.
      Coyote slowed down without a warning, making Pheonix bank upward and break the 300 feet ceiling. Making a SAM take her out. Hangman got cocky, as usual, flying too fast for Payback to keep up. Payback hit the wall trying to catch up with him. Rooster kept his speed slower that he was supposed to, making us behind.
     "Increase to 500 knots." I say, trying to get him to speed up so we can make it on time.
      "Negative, Athena. Hold your speed." He replies.
      I tried not to show my frustration. "Rooster we're late!"
      "We're alive." He says. I start following him closer than I probably should. "We'll make up time in the straightaway."
       "We are not gonna make it." I say with a harsher tone. In these circumstances I can't settle with using a smooth tone with him.
       "Just trust me." Rooster says. "Maintain your speed. We can make it." He sounded more confident than I was.
        Back in the briefing room, Mav goes over each mistake we made. The only thing is, he isn't helping us learn what we can do to prevent mistakes from happening. So his talks aren't exactly helping us. Just making us more nervous.
      "Why are you dead?" Maverick asks Rooster. "You're team leader up there. Why are you, why is your team dead?" He asks again.
      "Sir," Phoenix interrupts. "He's the only one who made it to the target."
     "A minute late." Maverick stated. "He gave enemy aircraft time to shoot him down. He is dead."
     "You don't know that." Rooster said.
    "You're not flying fast enough." Hangman added.
    "Well if you're not dead, then she is." Maverick points to me, next to Rooster. "You didn't listen to her, she told you to speed up, you didn't listen and now she is dead." He starts to get a little bit heated. "Is that what you're going to tell me when you land? Is that what you're going to tell Iceman?"
    "Dad.." I try to stop him from going on.
    "We made it to the target." Rooster says, defensively. Not looking at me or at Maverick.
    "And superior enemy aircraft intercepted you on your way out." Maverick leans towards Rooster.
    "Then it's a dog fight." Rooster argues.
    "Against fifth generation fighters." Maverick added.
    "Yeah. We'll still have a chance." Rooster doesn't back down.
    "In an F-18?!"
    "It's not the plane sir." He raised his voice slightly. "It's the pilot."
    "Exactly!" Maverick exclaimed.
     Everyone goes quiet for a moment. Taking in the argument that just happened. I don't know what Rooster was supposed to get out of that. "There's more than one way to fly this mission."
    That's what Maverick is trying to say, there isn't. Because the way he is teaching us is the only safe way for any of us to get home. If we fly too high, we get hit by a SAM. Fly too slow and we are intercepted on the way back. Fly too fast and you risk the lives of your team who is trying to keep up with you. There is only one way to fly this mission. And Maverick is teaching us how to. Or trying to teach us.
     "You really don't get it." Hangman chimed in. "On this mission, a man flies like Maverick here or a man does not come back." He looks to Phoenix, then me behind her. "No offense intended."
     Both me and Phoenix give him a look. My jaw slightly open at the comment. "Yet somehow, you always manage." Bob commented. He didn't seem to be the condescending type but it fits him. Especially against Hangman.
     "Look I don't mean to criticize." Hangman goes back to whatever he was saying before. Definitely meaning to criticize. His head turning to Rooster. "You're conservative, that's all."
    "Lieutenant." Even Mav is done with Hangman's bullshit.
    But Hangman continues. "We're going into combat son."
     You call him son again, you son of a bitch, and you'll have me to deal with.
     "On a level no living pilot has ever seen," Hangman turns to look at Maverick. "Not even him." Maverick's jaw clenched. "That's no time to be thinking about the past." I straighten in my seat. Giving Hangman a hard stare. Where is he going with this?
      Rooster looks over at Hangman. "What's that supposed to mean?" He asks.
     "Rooster." Maverick warns. Trying not to start something.
    "I can't be the only one that knows Maverick flew with his old man." But starting something is always inevitable with Hangman around, as I have learned.
    "Lieutenant, that's enough." Maverick tried to calm down the situation. But the pot was already boiling over. And so was I.
    "Hangman." I warned.
   "Or that Maverick was flying when-"
    It was enough to make me loose my temper. Not only has he attacked Rooster and did this intentionally to get a rise out of Rooster, but he also attacked my father as well. Making me rise from my seat and charge at him. Out of the corner of my eye, I watch as Rooster does as well. I manage to get one good shove in as Hangman stood but quickly my arms were grabbed and I was pulled back. Coyote came to Hangman's rescue and got between us before starting to pull Hangman back as well. Maverick plants a firm hand on both mine and Rooster's chest.
    "Athena." Phoenix tries to get my attention but I'm too focused on glaring daggers at Hangman.
     "You son of a bitch!" Rooster yells.
     The group managed to calm us down. I pulled my arms from Phoenix and Bob. The other's not letting Rooster go. Hangman had that smug look on his face. One I wanted to tear off.
    "I'm cool. I'm cool. Hey." He nudged the others arms off of him. "He's not cut out for this mission."
    Rooster goes to take a step forward but I quickly press my hand against his chest. "Rooster." My hand grabs his chin and I turn to make him look at me. "He's not worth it." I say in a hushed tone. Even though I also attacked him. He calms down. The other's slowly pull their arms from him as he shows he is calmer.
     "That's enough!" Maverick shouts. Standing between the two group.
     "You know it." Hangman added to the comment about Rooster not being cut out for this mission. We are all breathing heavy. I grab Rooster's arm with my hands. Just to be sure. But I am very tempted to take a swipe at him. "You know I'm right." He turns to the others. Searching for validation. He walks past us. Getting in Rooster's face on purpose. Making both of us glare at him.
     "You're all dismissed." Maverick announced.
     I slowly turn to my left. Phoenix's hand has stayed on my shoulder through the whole ordeal, with her arm across my back. "You alright?" She asked.
     I let out a deep breath before nodding. "Yeah, I'm alright." She nodded, her hand leaving my shoulder. I pulled my hands from Rooster's arm but he quickly gripped my hand with his. As if he would let go and loose control. I remember how much of a fiery temper we both have. Me more so.
      "Good." Phoenix said. "Let's get out of here. Before I attack him myself." She nodded to the door.
       I nodded. "Trust me, if Mav wasn't here, I would have gotten in more than a shove or two." I say, determined almost.
      "Which is why you're leaving." Mav chimed in.
      I looked at him, then nodded. "Yes, sir..." my head lowers as he gave me his disappointed dad look. My one fear, disappointing my fathers.
      We all leave the briefing room. Walking in silence to the locker rooms. Rooster finally separating from me but it was clear that he was in his own head. I walked in the locker room with Phoenix. Being the only female pilots in this mission has it's perks. Like not having a crowded shower and locker room. I brushed out my hair, running my fingers through it a few times to make it look less matted down from sweating in my helmet.
     "Is Rooster going to be okay?" Phoenix asked.
      I looked over at her, she was taking out her hair from the bun. "He'll be okay." I nodded. "But I wouldn't be surprised if he's shaken up." I say.
     She simply nodded. There were a few moments of silence before she says. "He doesn't really talk about his dad much. What happened?"
     I sighed softly. "He was there. Rooster, when the accident happened. Maverick and Goose, Rooster's dad, had gotten caught up in a jet stream and lost control. When they ejected, Goose hit the canopy. He was dead on impact." I slipped off my jumpsuit and pulled on my jeans. "Bradley and his mom Carole were both there when Maverick came back but Goose didn't."
     "I can see why he got so mad." She says. "And why you did too."
      I nodded. "Bagman managed to attack two of the few men that I care the most about." I admitted. I put on my navy jacket. Hanging up my jumpsuit and slipping my sunglasses on my head.
     Phoenix closed her locker and walked over to me. Her hand rested on my shoulder, making me turn to see her. "We'll make him pay for it." She said with a light smile.
     I smiled back. "Hell yeah we will."