1

Wesley "Texas" Brown, my RIO, and I walked side by side to our commander's office in complete silence

Wesley "Texas" Brown, my RIO, and I walked side by side to our commander's office in complete silence. I could feel how both of us were too nervous to talk. My mind went through every possible reason why our Commander would want to see us. Every mission we have done has been successful, I've done my best to follow the rules and not disobey orders. Which was hard being a Mitchell. My father had his father's reputation hanging over his head when he started off, and I do as well. Even though it has been years since I started. About 15. And here I am, doing the walk of shame to Steel's office.
     Texas broke the silence finally by asking, "Why do you think he wants to see us?"
     Texas stands at about 6 foot 1, with dark brown hair and hazel eyes. He has tan skin and a lean build. We were in flight school together and we've been insufferable ever since being pared up. He's my back seat, my eyes when I have to focus on other things.
    "I have no idea." I didn't look at him. Just kept walking. The only orders we got were to change out of flight gear and get to Steel's office.
    "You haven't disobeyed orders." He must be thinking the same thing I am. What possibly could I have done? "You haven't buzzed the tower." He meant the superstructure. But I knew what he meant.
    "I haven't buzzed the tower since Top Gun." I added quickly. Even though I did, I still got the trophy.
   "Then why..." he mumbled.
    "I guess we'll find out." I replied. Slipping my hands in my pockets.
Tex simply hummed in response as we turned the corner and walked down the hallway. I took the lead and knocked on the door labeled 'Cmdr. Steven 'Steel' Fuller'. A voice tells us to come in. I turned the handle and stepped inside. Texas closing the door behind us.
Steel looked up from his desk. "Lieutenant Commander Mitchell-Kazansky Lieutenant Brown." He sets down the paper he was reading in his hands. Adjusting his glasses as he did. As much as the hyphenated last name can be a mouth full, it's been my legal name since Ice and Mav got married.
"Sir." I nodded as a greeting.
"Sir." Texas did as well.
"Your work today was exceptional, as usual, but that's not why I've asked you to see me." Steel said. I relaxed a bit inside. My body staying stiff with my hands to my sides. "You two are being shipped to North island for an important mission." He said.
"North island, sir?" I asked. Since he had paused.
"To Top Gun. To be trained and chosen for a very special mission. You will learn more when you get there. Pack up and get ready to leave. Your dismissed." Steel is a man of few words. Only saying what he has to, to get his point across.
"Yes sir, thank you sir." I nodded again and both me and Texas leaves his office.
The moment he closed the door, we both physically relaxed. Walking to our rooms on the carrier.
    "A mission?" Texas asked. "You're the best pilot in the navy, why would they need to train you for a mission?"
    "I don't know. You're asking the wrong person Tex." I said.

We arrived in San Diego. I debated if I should visit dad. Since he's stationed there with Ice. Who's the Pacific fleet commander. Mav's been tossed around a bit. But now he's working on a project on another base in the outskirts of San Diego.
I remembered he had told me about an old navy hanger he was aloud to use as a bit of a workshop. Which means he is definitely there and not at his house. So I knew where to head to. Since I would rather not run around Southern California to find Mav. At least I knew Ice would be in his office. I'll have to visit him too.
    We pulled up in my truck and we both step out. I heard soft music playing along with sounds of metal inside the hanger he's staying in. I peaked my head in the large door. He's working on a plane. The same one he's been fiddling with for years.
    "Still working on the ol' rust bucket I see." I cross my arms.
    His head turns and his face lights up seeing me. "Chrissy." He climbed down from the step ladder and rushed to me.
    I walked to him and we embrace. "Hi dad."
   We pulled away. "You're on solid ground." He smiled.
   "And I'm in San Diego." I added.
   "What for?"
   "A mission. Apparently. I didn't get much more information about it." I explained.
    His eyes darted behind me. "Who's this?"
    I stepped back and gestured to Texas. "Dad, this is my RIO. Wesley Brown. Aka Texas."
   "It's an honor to finally meet you Maverick." Texas extended his hand and the two shake hands.
    "It's nice to meet you too." Dad said with a smile.
He showed off his p-51. While it can fly, it's not in the best shape to. So he's been fixing it until he can fly it without worry. It is a cool plane. And he's so lucky he even has his own hanger to work on it. Or else he would have to work on it in the backyard of his and Ice's house. And I don't think Ice would like that very much.
Out of the corner of my eye, something gets my attention. Pictures on the wall over a counter top. I walk over. Gesturing for Tex to follow me. The wall was full of pictures from dad and his days in the navy.
"You see him?" I pointed to a photo. "That's Goose. My dad's RIO. The one I told you about." I explained. Tex leans in closer. "And that is Ice, him and Mav met in Top Gun."
His eyes glanced between me and the picture. "You look just like Maverick."
"I do?" I haven't gotten that much. Even though I look nothing like Charlie or Iceman.
"Absolutely." He nodded.
I chuckled and looked to the pictures again. They landed on two framed photos standing upright. "That's..." I hesitated. I had no idea who that is.
"That's Bradley." Maverick voice reached me from behind us.
I turn to look at him before looking at the picture. The one to the left looked like him. But the one on the right. Older, in uniform, and with a mustache. "That's Bradley?!" I point to the picture.
"Joined the Navy too. His call sigh is Rooster." Mav explained.
Rooster, how fitting. And gods, he's handsome. I haven't seen nor talked to him in years. "Wow..."
"Now, you want to see Darkstar?" Mav smiled.
My head shoots over to look at him. I nodded eagerly. His hypersonic jet that the navy has been funding. He leads us out of the hanger and we walked a while to the main hangers where actual work was being done. He pulls open the doors of hanger and I gasp slightly at the scene. She's gorgeous. Sleek, dark, and made for speed. I slowly walk forward and reached my hand up. Running my hand over the nose.
I quickly turn my heal to look at Mav. "Can I take her for a ride?!" I asked excitedly.
"What?! No! I'm not getting in trouble for letting my daughter take our hypersonic jet for a joy ride." He laughs.
"Come on! I'm sure you can get Ice to approve!" I plead. "I've got the need for speed dad!"
He laughs again and he shakes his head. "I'm sorry honey."
I frown for a second but I know it's for the best. I would rather not get my father fired. But damn does the jet look fast. And the title 'Fastest woman alive' had a nice ring to it. But I let the subject go.
    "Can we visit dad?" I asked.
     He nodded. "He's should be at the office, as usual." He leads the way out of the hanger.
    "That hasn't changed, huh?" Ice always worked his ass off. Even before he became an admiral.
"Sometimes he comes home when I'm asleep then leaves before I wake up." Mav says.
"Have you talked to him about it?" Dad and I walk side by side. I'm guessing Tex didn't want to intervene with our talk so he stayed behind.
He shakes his head. "I don't want him to feel like he's choosing me over his work." He slips his hands in his pockets and watched the ground as we walked.
"Dad, he's your husband. He should choose you over work." I say. "I heard something from a while ago. Whatever you're married to, works out for you. If Ice is married to his work, then nothing else will work out but his work. And yet, he's married to you. It's the hard truth but you need to tell him. Didn't you always say that communication is key in any relationship? Without it, it's like a pilot who looses coms with their RIO."
Mav chuckled lightly and looked over at me. "When did you get so wise?" He asks.
"Well for one I'm not a little girl anymore. I'm 35. And secondly, I had a lot of failed relationships." I chuckled. It was like I had bad luck when it came to love.
Mav wraps his arm around me. "I'll talk to him ok? For now, let's just focus on you seeing him for the first time in months." He kisses my head.
We take my truck to the Pacific Fleet building. I showed my naval ID to get us through the gate. I parked the truck and climbed out of the front seat. Taking the lead since I'm excited to see Ice. I knew exactly where his office was. Stopping at the door and knocking quickly.
    "Come in." I hear his voice inside.
    I peak my head into his offices. Pictures scattered around the office. From their wedding, pictures of when I was a kid, my high school graduation, when I won the Top Gun trophy and so on. "Hi dad."
     He looks up from papers on his desk. His blue eyes lighting up as he sees me. "Chrissy!" Both of them have called me that since I can remember. Ice is in his uniform, his blonde hair has greyed at his temples and his eyes showed crows feet. He stood and rushed to me. I walked into his office and he hugs me tight. He always gave the best hugs. Holding on and not letting go for a little while. We do separate after a few minutes. "I wondered when you would arrive."
     He knew I was coming home. "Did you recommend me?" I asked.
    He nodded. "Of course I did darling."
    "Why didn't you tell me you knew she was coming home?" Maverick asked. Both him and Tex were in the doorway.
    "I wanted to surprise you." Ice smiled at Mav.
    "Oh Ice," I step aside. "This is Lieutenant Wesley Brown. Texas, my RIO." I gestured to him.
    He steps inside. "It's wonderful to meet you admiral." Texas holds out his hand and the two shake hands. "Athena doesn't shut up about either of you." I chuckled and shake my head softly.
    "It's nice to meet you too." Iceman smiled back. Chuckling softly.
     I looked at Ice. "What is this mission about anyway, dad?" I asked.
    "Well it's a tough one for sure. But I know you'll do well." He said. "You'll learn about it when you are briefed your first day of training. It should be easy for ya." He puts his hand on my shoulder encouragingly. "After all, you're a Mitchell-Kazansky."
    I smiled. "Thanks dad." I should have known that he wouldn't tell me anything abut the mission. I guess I will have to find out. For now I can get settled in now that I'm here. Maybe even get some surfing in. I've missed surfing. Since I can't exactly do it on a carrier.