Drunken Call

"Yes, I'm drunk—and you're beautiful. And tomorrow morning, I'll be sober but you'll still be beautiful." - The Dreamers, 2003

Chapter Fifteen: Drunken Call

 The first thing I thought of when I heard what Zach had to say, was that it sounded quite familiar to me. As far as I could remember, that line was first used by none other than Mr. Elvis, who first claimed that he wasn't just an ordinary old white guy. That he had some sort of magical power a human like me doesn't have—unfortunately. My mind was still arguing with itself, wether or not, to believe Zach's shocking revelation. I was utterly dumbfounded. Before the magical book came into my possession, I was living a simple and ordinary life. No one dared to be my friend, and my life wasn't that interesting for the other people to meddle with. I was a social outcast who spent my time reading the same set of novels over and over again. A girl who kept reminding herself that she was perfectly fine when the truth was that she wasn't. She was just too scared to admit that she was nothing but a failure and disgrace to her family. Crazy, but I was contented with how my life revolved before despite of all the major bullies I had received. Everything worked out as planned, and even though my parents and siblings didn't care about me—I still lived a pretty, damn, amazing life. At least, according to my standard. 

But everything suddenly changed when the book and Mr. Elvis entered the picture a few days ago. He and his whimsical diary were the main reason why my life turned upside down. Katniss, who I once considered as a mortal enemy, suddenly changed and became really concerned about me. I swear, she became too clingy now. Oh, and my mother, who once said that I wouldn't live an interesting life even in a million years—was now very supportive about my sudden romance with none other than the crown prince of Oaklace. Peter, who I thought was just a random teenager who was doing prank calls for fun, turned out to be someone famous in the society. The next day, after I had settled a deal with him, I woke up and found out that I was no longer single. I was in a relationship with a man who I just met the other night. Fairytale? Not really. 

And now, Zach officially completed the list of the crazy things that happened to my life in a span of three to five days only. Wow, if this was a movie, a lot of people would definitely watch this. I personally believed that fairytales doesn't exist, but with what was happening to my life—I might reconsider. 

"What do you mean you're not like me?" I said and raised an eyebrow. "I have no time for your silly games, Zach. I had a very tiring day and the least you could right now is to spare me all your silly jokes. Ain't nobody got time for that."

"Like I said, I'm not like you," Zach said and smirked. "In fact, there are many of us."

"But of course, you're not like me," I said and snorted. "You're a douchebag. A good for nothing guy who spends his nights with random girls. Now, tell me, is that what you mean?"

He was stunned. His eyes made it pretty obvious. Trust me, I was shocked too. Those words weren't really what I wanted to say. It just slipped out of my mouth unnoticed. Somehow, I wanted to slap myself because of what I said. Zach didn't deserve to hear it. 

"First of all, I'm not a douchebag," he said and ruffled his dark-blonde hair in frustration. "Second of all, I'm not a womanizer if that's what you want to say. And finally, that's not what I'm talking about!"

"I'm sorry," I said and sighed in defeat. "Can we just start over? Hi, I'm Clarie Sparks."

I reached out my hand and waited for him to take it. Zach took a quick glance at my hand and then smiled broadly. His cute dimples were very visible. I swear, when God showered gorgeousness in the whole world—Peter, Matthew and Zach were at the first row. As for me, I was at the second row—to the last.