2/ I work here !

Kayla Preston

Day One

"Finally!" I huffed happily as I slumped on my bed covered with different life magazines. I spent the last couple hours in my new, if I could call it that, apartment. I went through every single column for rich bachelors that I could use for my... situation. Every single one U found was either too old, too young, not rich enough, on the brink of bankruptcy. Way to defeat the whole purpose of my plans.

But I finally found the one. He was a little cramped in the corner of the magazine, so I had to squint to get a view of the information.  But oh, he had me at the richest bachelor in New York city . He could be ten years older than me at that point but I was sold.

Brent Coleman.

There wasn't much information on him.  He was twenty-five and lived in the suburbs of the city. I could live with that for a while.

I jumped of my bed and texted Jonathan to meet me in the club in two hours. I wanted to update him and also because I was starving and didn't know how make even a simple coffee. I'd already burnt three attempts of a pancake. I scoffed I'm annoyance, scanning my room.

My dad really tried his worst in picking the apartment. It was only one room I had. I thought it would be at least three, but it wasn't. Painted in a dull blue for the bedroom, and kitchen and a tiny black tiled bathroom.

I could do nothing but get ready to meet up with Jonathan at the club and hope for the best. Maybe I'd visit Brent Coleman's mansion. I'm sure it'd be easy.

I took a quick shower and dressed in a black skin tight sleeves dress, apparently the only designer dress I possessed. The rest were regular clothes, with no tags whatsoever. I gagged. I paired it with some pumps and no makeup,  because I had no make-up item, and even if I did , I wouldn't know how to use it.

********

The dancefloor glowed with multicolored lights that shot from the ceiling. I swayed my hips to music , feeling the dancefloor pulsate beneath my feet due to the throbbing music the DJ provided. I ignored the mass partying with plenty bodies huddled close together. Who knew partying with many people could be this relieving ?!

"Your man?" Jonathan tapped me,  pulling me out of my daze. I looked at him confusingly. "What?!" I screamed over the loud music.

"I said your man!" He screamed back. I didn't know it so was hearing wrong or that was what he was actually insinuating. I indicated to him that I didn't understand him. He huffed, dropping his glass on the counter, and pushing my head into a particular direction. I found myself looking at the figure of a man. He was handsome.  Extremely handsome. He wore an unbuttoned white shirt and sat on a barstool, paying no attention to the girls hovering around him like mosquitoes. He looked rich. Very rich.

I took seconds to understand what Jon meant. That was Brent. The actual Brent Coleman. This was it! A sign from the universe that it's in full support of my plans. I grinned happily.

"Won't you make your move ?" Jon shouted in my ear and I winced. I shook my head and smirked.

"I have a better idea!" I laughed and he threw me a confused look. I didn't even care if he heard me or not.

*********

I don't know what I was thinking. I don't know what made me think this was a good idea. I was beginning to regret my actions already.

I crept along the hallways of the mansion. It was just a simple solution to get employed in his home. I more stealthily, guessing hard where the staff quarters was probable to be located. Maybe if I'd cared about the staff in my house, I wouldn't be suffering so-

"Excuse me! Who are you?" I heard a voice behind me a screamed lightly, turning to face the person with a scowl. It was a middle aged woman who wore a scowl like I wore mascara.

I fumbled with my words. Nothing was coming out.

"I'm the... I work here !" I blurted out and crossed my heart and hoped to die. She looked confused them a wave  of recognition crossed her face.

"You're the new help for the chef! Oh, how could I forget! " she commented and I laughed nervously.

"Yes, the mini chef ! That's me! Ha-ha." I chuckled before realizing everything. Wait what ? Chef? I barely know how to make a coffee.  When I said job, I meant maybe a secretary at least. I could do that at least.

But all these thoughts meant nothing as the woman dragged me across corridors to a whole different section of the mansion. Many staff dressed in black and white frills and men with white shirt and black pants scurried around, doing various chores.

Before I could protest she shoved a packet at me."That's your uniform.  I informed you if everything you're meant to do last Sunday right?"

I nodded frantically.

"You're staying here for weekdays then you have the weekends off. Camille will show you your room at the end of the day." She pointed to a curly haired lady who passed by us, nodding her head before leaving.

Staying here weekdays? But I have no clothes.

"Go that way." She pointed to a corridor that probably branched into the kitchen. I nodded with closed lips. I made O move but she stopped me before I could move."Wait!"

"You were blonde!" She exclaimed. My eyes widened and I roamed my mind for solutions.

"Dye! Yes, dye. I dyed my hair. " I laughed nervously. She squinted her eyes in suspicion then brushed it off. She rushed through her pocket and took out a slip of paper.

"You can take this back now since you got the job. I won't be around for some days. Hurry now, get going." She scurried off.

I walked away, looking at the paper and smiled at my good luck. My details.

Anna McCoy.

My new name. And my number. I knew exactly what to do.

I sneaked to a corner and made sure nobody was watching. I dialled the number on my iPhone and called. I altered my voice.

"I'm sorry Anna. You've lost the job. Do not make it to the mansion today. You've been replaced."

I held my breath and received a wave of pleas and laughed at the way she bought my act.

"I'm sorry. But the decision has been made. Goodbye !" I ended the call and shrieked to myself. I'm way closer to my goal than I thought I was . And I was on day one!

Way to go, Kayla!

******

Hey! Chapter two. Hope this was good.
Bye !