Part 8: Putting on a Show

Eve waited nervously in her dressing room, nervous for whatever Fira had dreamed up. When she walked in with what looked like an armful of scrap metal she wanted to cry.

"I'm not wearing that." She shook her head. She refused to make a fool of herself when so much was on the line.

"Oh, shut up." Fira rolled her eyes as she draped the metal pieces over her shoulders.

It looked like fishing line was holding the Garibaldi sized pieces together and Eve covered her eyes with her palms.

"Just watched." Fora said gently as she removed her hands from her face.

Eve looked into the mirror while Fira grabbed a blow torch.

"What are you doing?" Eve backed away but the sharp look in her designers eye made her pause. She turned it on and let the hot air hit the metal.

The pieces shrunk as they molded against her body. Eve's sun tanned skin showed between the material that now looked like fish scales just enough to leave the capital's citizens wanting more.

"This is my best work yet." Fira buzzed beside her.

*** *** ***

With perfect hair and makeup she stood in line and waited.

She watched Glimmer strut on stage through the projector in front of her.

"Look at you!" Caesar praised as he walked around the girl. "That is quite an outfit."

She wore a see through dress with barely anything below it.

"Yes Caesar and it feels good too" she hummed.

"It does." He trailed off as he moved closer. "Let me see."

"Oh you mean it feels good on you!" He laughed.

"Bad!" She giggled.

"Almost got myself into trouble there." He grinned. "Bad boy! Bad boy!"

"Slap my hand." He held it out and she didn't hesitate.

"Now do it again."

"No!" She giggled.

"Kill me now." Eve groaned.

Cato heard her quiet complaint and looked over his shoulder.

His eyes took their time dragging over her. Instead of looking uncomfortable in his gaze, she did the same to him. He wore a light blue suit that was obviously tailored specifically for his broad shoulders and massive arms.

She didn't look away when his eyes met hers. With her score she figured it was about time to start playing the part.

He grinned at her small act of defiance. He decided to let her have it and looked back to the stage.

Eve didn't pay attention to the rest of Glimmer's interview, nor the boy from District One.

It wasn't until Clove was called on stage that she perked up.

She put on much less of a show when she walked on stage in her puffy pink dress.

"I have heard you are quite facile with a knife." He said once the two were situated in their white chairs.

"I'm the best." She said simply.

"Really?"

"I could kill you from clear across this stage."

Her words made even thee Caesar Flickerman shift in his seat. "Sounds to me like you're here to win."

There were goosebumps on Eve's skin. The girl on stage was cold and dangerous. And tomorrow she would be trying to kill her.