Part 17: Cooling Off

Eve felt hot in the later afternoon sun.

With her spear in hand she stepped away from the group and towards the woods.

A rough hand on her wrist stopped her. "Where are you going?"

"Down to the river." She said blankly. "I need to cool off."

Cato laughed. "Not alone."

She pulled her wrist from his large hand. "You think I can't handle myself?"

"You're a flight risk." He said. "I don't want to have to go find you again."

"Then don't." She said, turning on her heals and heading towards the tree line.

He jogged to catch up to her. "You know what? I think I could use a swim too."

She rolled her eyes and her fists clenched at the smirk on his face. She wanted to knock it straight off.

Eve didn't fight as he stepped in line beside her with his sword swinging lazily at his side. There was no arguing with the man when his mind was set.

It would be an admirable trait, had it been anyone else.

She found the small river quickly and closed her eyes, letting the sounds of the running water sooth her tired mind.

"Cato!" She yelled as his arms wrapped around her stomach.

He plucked her straight off the ground and started running across the large boulders that lined the river. She clung to his large shoulders as he jumped into the air and they both disappeared beneath the water.

It was freezing cold, sending a surge through her body. She found the muffled feeling of the water's weight around her familiar, but Cato's hands weren't. They pushed her up to the water's surface and she took in a gasp of air.

She struggled out of his grasp and let her strong legs tread against the water and her heavy clothes.

"You asshole." She splashed him before swimming to shore.

"What?" He laughed. "I thought you wanted to cool off?"

"Yeah, not in my clothes." She mumbled, pulling her soaked shirt over her shoulders.

Cato was quiet as she peeled off the black cargo pants that seemed to mold to her skin.

He was two seconds away from pulling himself out of the water helping her out of the rest of the stupid material that covered her from his eyes.

She laid them out in the sun to dry and turned back to the water.

Cato was still treading water where she left him, drinking in the sight in front of his eyes.

"Take a picture it'll last longer." She called out, ringing the stray water from her hair.

"I wish I could." Cato was sure there would never been a better sight in front of his eyes.

Even as she rolled her eyes a laugh escaped her mouth.

God, he loved that sound.