Part 3: Day One

The knock on her door came all too quickly and Eve groaned, pulling her sheets over her head.

"You have an hour to get ready." Finnick's voice boomed through the door.

"I only need thirty." She mumbled, letting herself fall back to sleep.

"Fifteen minutes!" He called, pulling her from her sleep.

"Shit."

She had to run to make it to the training room in time.

Her bodysuit felt all too tight and she pulled at the stretchy fabric as she moved.

All eyes were on her as she ran through the doors.

"Looks like sleeping beauty finally made it." Cato mused, making the other careers snicker amongst themselves.

Eve bit her tongue as she decided to take Finnick's advice. She couldn't afford to make them hate her anymore than they already did.

"As I was saying." A woman with her hands pulled behind her back said. "Have at it."

The group dissipated as they moved to the different stations.

Some were eager to get their hands on the different weapons, while others were more reserved, looking through the different stations timidly.

Eve decided to try her luck with fire starting.

A man who looked to be in his late twenties stood near the piles of wood and she didn't hesitate to step up to him.

"You wanna take a crack at it?" He asked, gesturing to the supplies in front of him.

She nodded as they both dropped to their knees.

"All you need is two sticks and something light and flammable." He said.

"First you need to split a stick." He said, handing her one. "Go on."

"Okay." She nodded. With a sharp rock she split the stick down the middle.

"Good job." He smiled.

She did the same. "Thanks."

"Now you have to rub the stick against the split one." He explained.

"Fast and hard." He said, handing her the other stick. "For friction."

"Fast and hard." She couldn't help it as she laughed at his odd wording. "Right."

She did as told, rubbing the stick against the other. "Like this?"

"No." He huffed, moving to crouch behind her.

His hands fell over hers as he guided her hand up and down as she rubbed the stick between her palms.

Her cheeks were red. She knew they were. She scolded herself for being so touch starved that something so simple could rile her up.

It started the smoke and she smiled, pushing her thoughts down.

He let go of her hands and moved back in front of her. "Now make a notch beside the hole."