Chapter Four: High Status

"Well, my parents weren't around much, I mean they taught me everything I needed. I miss them, but I'm used to them not being around by now. I have Justin, and his dad that take care of me pretty well." I didn't really want to tell her every single detail about my family, I was kind of ashamed knowing the background she came from, and I came from were completely different. Demi had caviar, and I had disgusting broth. I began to steal glances of the beauty beside me.

After staring at her as we peacefully walked, I couldn't help but notice that Demi is the complete opposite from me. It's not the money thing either, she's just so.. Beautiful, and well taken care of, something that I wasn't very experienced in nor was I stranger.

"Well Demetria, we've walked about a mile around this huge ship, and talked about my childhood and interests ... But why did you want to speak to me of all people?" Her mood suddenly changed. Why? I needed an answer. I mean I'm just practically a nobody winging it. There are hundreds of interesting people she could talk to instead of me, I had nothing special going on and nothing that would be of use to tell her.

"Well-" she debated whether or not to talk, she would always do that. It's like her minds just giving her blank cards.

"You see Miss Russo I-"

"Call me Alex." I knew this was rather informal of me to do, but I hated my last name, I got it from my father. I knew that anything my father had was probably stolen.

"I would just like to personally thank you for saving me, I was having a hard time, and well everything was crumbling around me." She paused although I thought she was finished, she started staring at me, I got a little uncomfortable under her gaze. This was a woman who had power, and I knew that she'd probably be judging me. Anybody with money seemed to judge on this ship- that's just the sort of people they are.

"T-that's o-kkay" I don't know where this stuttering came from, but it needs to stop before I make a complete fool of myself. I probably already have, but I just felt so nervous all of a sudden.

"Look, I know what you must be thinking!" - she snapped, I stopped dead in my tracks making eye contact with her as she spoke

"Poor, little rich girl. What does she know about misery?"

"That's not what I was thinking!" I answered calmly, but kind of a little too loud for passers by to hear. I just had to justify myself rather loudly and quickly.

"What I was thinking was... What could have happened to hurt this girl so much she thought she had no way out?"I flipped my hair out of my face, she observed this. I mean she observes everything, it's hard being me under her gaze. I was beginning to feel more comfortable now.

"I felt like I was trapped, I couldn't be myself, I wasn't one of them. I just wanted run away from my problems, I ran until their was no boat left. It still wasn't enough to get away from them." I nodded not completely understanding what she meant, but I was mostly there for support. I looked her plain in the eyes, I could see the hurt and the sorrow build up inside them. I didn't understand what her world was like, I haven't lived inside of it. But for some reason I didn't like seeing her in such discomfort.

"Do you love him?" My brain obviously wasn't connected to my lips when that was blurted out. Stupid me, I mean.. Maybe she was forced into this marriage? I don't know why I wanted to know though. It wasn't any of my business.

"Pardon me?" She questioned. I can't tell if she didn't know what I said, or she was slightly shocked, or offended. I have that affect on a lot of people.

"Well it's a simple question, do you love the guy or not?" She smiled, showing her perfectly white jewels. I was just kinda waiting for an answer that I shouldn't have asked for.