13

Her

Then all the guests came back. The music began again.

There she stood. In the centre of the room. The most ruthless woman of the modern age. Queen Ilona. From what I've learnt, she can break a man's heart without lifting a finger.

Wilhelm stood behind me and frowned. We watched as she waltzed with Thomas then she came over.

"Your Majesty, Your Highness, my greatest congratulations."

"Thank you, Ilona," I replied. "How was the journey here?"

"So, so."

She was such a forthright woman, I felt so bad for her husband, Prince Alexei. He had to put up with her day in, day out. I could hear him talking to Wilhelm behind me.

"Is she as ruthless as they say?" Wilhelm whispered.

"Yes," I heard Alexei whisper back. "She is in bed too."

I heard them laugh and then I wandered off to the water fountain. She was there staring at the moon.

"It's a beautiful view isn't it?" I said.

She gasped and turned away again. I swore I saw something shiny fall out of her hand.

"Yes, it is. You're very lucky."

She smiled and turned away again, she was staring at the town sparkling on the far side. As I turned to go inside, I spotted a small vial on the floor. That must have been what fell from her hand. I passed it to her, and she turned to run. I grabbed her arm.

"Ilona, what is this?" I asked. "Please don't tell me that..."

"Nothing, honestly." She stuttered.

"Ilona," I demanded, not letting go of her arm. "What is in the vial?"

She cursed under her breath and then glanced at her husband dancing. "If he died here, people would think that this place is cursed, following your uncle."

"My uncle?" I said, frowning. Surely she couldn't know.

"I know it was you."