Chapter 9

April and Casey chased the Foot into an empty office full of desks and filing cabinets. Foot Soldiers silently parkoured their way through the room, going over and around furniture without disturbing a thing. But Casey crashed his way though, shoulder rolling over desks, knocking over lamps and computer monitors like a bull in a china shop. April followed, making her way through the destruction. The Foot raced down a stairway, welting the railing at each turn. Casey tried to copy them but tumbled down the stairs.

"We have to get above the exit!" Raph commanded.

"What, are you two crazy?" Manako squealed in fear. "We can't be seen!"

"That purple ooze is our only shot at being normal, and it's heading toward the front door." Raph said. "You with me or not?"

With no option, they nodded. Raph dropped down through a vertical duct. He saw the Foot use smoke grenades ahead of them, dios renting the few police officers on overnight duty. The Foot had a clear path through the lobby and out the doors. Unless someone stopped them. "They're getting away," Raph yelled. "We got no choice, buddy."

Looking uncertain about the consequences of revealing themselves, Manako and Reika nodded in agreement. As Raph and the girls ran after the escaping Foot, April and Casey fell in behind them.

Reaching the lobby, two Foot soldiers threw more smoke grenades and jumped the security turnstile. Suddenly, Shira and Tomoka burst through a window. Raph sidekicked the ninja carrying the canister of purple ooze and yanked it out of his hands.

"Raph, what are you doing with that?" Shira asked him.

Before he could say something, Chief Vincent, Jade and a handful of police officers ran into the lobby. At the sight of the Turtles the officers reacted with horror. "What are those things?" the cops asked. "Monsters! Get on the ground!" The sisters let out a scream.

April and Casey went their way. "No! Don't shoot!" To the turtles, April yelled, "Go! Now!"

The five turtles burst through a window and disappeared into the night, taking the canister of purple ooze with them. Vincent was surprised to see Casey.

"Jones. You've got to be kidding me." Then she turned to the police officers and nodded toward Casey and April. "Put these two in holding. Jade, what we just saw stays in the department. The public doesn't need to know."

The police officers handcuffed April and Casey and led them away, "What we just saw here stays within the department," Vincent told Jade. "The public doesn't need to know."

"I'm on it," Jade said.

As the Turtles enter the lair, Splinter barked, "It is all over the police scanner, they are hunting you. What happened up there?"

Shira snarled at Raph, "Tell him, Raph. Tell him how you broke rank and got us all exposed." He held up the canister of purple mutagen.

"For the most selfish reason," Raph countered. "The Foot were gonna get their hands on it. You didn't know that!" Tomoka fell in behind Shira, while Manako backed up Raph.

"Stealing from police headquarters... " said Tomoka, "There's no scenario where you wouldn't get caught."

"Maybe if you hadn't lied to your own flesh and blood..." Raph began.

"Oh, wait. The way you lied to April?" Shira cut in, "And now she's taking the fall for your mess."

The others were angry, but Manako looked forlorn. She had a sad expression on her face. "It's horrible. The people found us here." she began. "They think we are monsters..." Manako sniffed. "You should've seen the looks on their faces. They weren't just scared. There was actual hate.