Chapter 53

When we made it to the garden, Garrett motioned for us to stay back. Cyrena and I exchanged glances before casting curious looks in the direction that had warranted his caution. Garrett stooped between a group of tiny shrubs and proceeded to rip something from the earth. 

***

"Penny for your thoughts?" 

I turned to face Ashton, who was gazing at me with interest. A few seconds of stillness passed as I looked out the window at the garden that Garrett, Cyrena, and I had just left.

"I've got something to show you." I summoned the courage to admit it. Hopefully, Ashton won't freak out when he saw what I'd discovered—well, what Garrett had discovered down there.

"Don't panic," I said as I reached for the box containing the hazardous find.

I cautiously opened the box, being careful not to touch the thistles with my hand. Ashton's eyes almost bulged out of his head and within a second, the box was no longer in my hands, but his.

I almost pouted at his unfair advantage of being able to use his Origen speed while I had to wear my sealing ring.

"Where did this come from? He questioned, solemnness now replacing the former curiosity that danced in his eyes.

One hour earlier

When we made it to the garden, Garrett motioned for us to stay back. Cyrena and I exchanged glances before casting questioning looks in the direction that he was pointing.

Garrett stooped beside a few baby shrubs and plucked something from the ground.

Cyrena's eyes instantly widened as she yanked me away from him. "That's Nightshade Thistle!"

I turned my curious gaze to the plant that Garrett was frowning at. I'd never actually seen a Nightshade plant before. Garrett's distrustful gaze wandered further up the garden, where there was a small patch of tiny plants sprouting up above the earth.

Nightshade Thistle took years to grow. Someone must have planted them a very long time ago for them to be showing up above ground. Whoever had lived here before had been harvesting Nightshade. But why?

"We need to get out of here," he murmured, tossing the offending plant away as if it was acid.

I stared at the baby plant before taking a step forward. It shouldn't be able to hurt me if the liquid inside of it didn't come in contact with me. I'd have to avoid all the thistles surrounding it, though, which wouldn't be easy.

"Are you a magnet for trouble, Angel Eyes?" Garrett scowled, snatching my hand away before I could retrieve it.

"I'll be careful." I tried to convince him. "Maybe it's to our advantage that we found it."

He quirked an eyebrow at me, but released my hand. I guess he decided to trust my judgement. I kneeled beside the plant and lightly touched the leaves. It was only poisonous if the liquid inside of it made contact with an Origin.

"What weird thought is running through your head now?" Garrett frowned.

I gave him a tiny smile and refocused my attention on the plant. I had an idea that just might be crazy enough to work.

Cyrena, who had gone ahead to investigate the strange garden, now turned back to us in confusion. "There's something else over here."

We headed toward her and Garrett's eagle gaze made sure I stayed clear of all the Nightshade Thistles in my path. Cyrena transferred her gaze to the door of the garden shed, which was slightly ajar.