Chapter 12

Luca Angeles

Ezra Gaignory

King Malekh Luciano
Age: 27

Rosaline Damaris
Age: 209

Cyrena Damaris
Age: 24

*°*

Luca's POV

The balcony on the third floor of Spade Kingdom castle was the perfect place for reflection. I often found myself there, thinking of what was and what used to be. Remembering the past, thinking of the present and planning for the future.

The Nightshade Massacre had already ended more than a millennia ago but the persecution of the Origins, my people, still persisted to this day. It was time to put a stop to it. But first, I needed to find my daughter, Elizabeth. My mind would not allow for a moment's rest until she was safe with me.

I missed her so much it felt as if my heart had been carved out and my chest left open as a hollow cavity. Isabelle had done her best to protect her. If only Caden had never interfered. I could never forgive him for what he did to her.

I sighed as I paced along the balcony, my fingers drumming against the railings. There was an expansive view of the Spade Kingdom that stretched as far as the eye could see. The blustering winter winds were harsh and bitter, but they hardly bothered me. It could be the result of all the endurance I'd built up due to the many harsh circumstances that life threw my way, but dismissing it as such would be far too optimistic. As much as I wanted to deny it right now, my unique ability was returning.

That wouldn't be such a bad thing if it didn't herald the warning that the seal I'd placed on Elizabeth was weakening rapidly. It was only a matter of time before the inevitable happened and as much as the DeLorentes' claimed to have welcomed her into their family, their tolerance and hospitality would not extend to an Origin.

My lips pulled back in a scowl as I imagined how much danger she was in right now and she was blissfully unaware of all of it. Ezra leaned off the wall, his keen eyes observed me silently. He was worried about Elizabeth too. He opened his mouth to say something, probably to attempt to calm my nerves but at the same time a knock sounded against the door. It was Rosaline again.

I had no intention of trusting Malekh, or any of them for the matter. I'd made that sufficiently clear the first time we'd met, but Rosaline was unwilling to accept that. The Damaris family had been the closest aides of the Angeles for a long as anyone could remember. As a member of that family, she prided herself on being able to communicate with me and assist with my plans.

"Hello, Luca," she greeted with a smile after I told her to come out. Her eyes flitted to Ezra who watched her with growing suspicion. "And Ezra," she sighed. "I should have known you'd be here too. You're always stuck to Luca like glue."

"Is there a problem with that?" he asked, still tense.

"No, of course not," she sniffed. "I was only pointing it out. I'm sure even Luca must want some time alone."

"I don't mind Ezra being here," I informed her. "He's quite literally the only person here I trust. Besides," I turned around, gazing at the direction of the Kingdom of Crysauralia, "If I was left by myself I would be too tempted to storm into the palace and take my daughter back."