Chapter 19

That afternoon, Queen Indra, Prin Odette and Empress Arabella gathered in the garden for afternoon tea. As a nice gesture, they invited me too. After Prin Odette had left, Garrett had come back, curious to know what our mysterious meeting was about. I told him that she'd simply wanted to talk about some important matters. Violet had come back from her meeting and we initiated her into our sacred book orchard. Unlike Garrett, she animatedly helped me find some more information on the Origens.

I was hesitant to ask her if she knew anything about the Origins. Since she knew ancient Crysauralian and had a degree in Kingdom History, she'd probably done some in depth studies about Crysauralia, and perhaps the Origins. I decided I'd ask her about it at another time. It would be too risky if too many people were involved in my plan right now. Besides, Violet was the one who was designated to report to the emperor, which meant she could potentially let him know what I was up to and I didn't want that. I did not need that headache. I already had enough headaches as it was.

At three on the dot, I strolled down to the garden for tea. Violet was with me because Garrett desperately wished to be exempted from the event. Everyone else was just beginning to gather under the spacious pavilion and I took my seat beside Prin Odette. Across from us were Queen Indra and Empress Arabella.

All of the tea stuff had already been neatly arranged. There were elegant, golden tea-sandwich trays stacked with fresh fruits, scones with clotted cream and jam, truffle egg salad with tarragon and cucumber sandwiches. On the table were orange semolina cake, berry compotes, passion fruit mousse and chocolate dipped almond madeleines.

The caterers had information on my allergies, so the berry compote wouldn't contain any blueberries, meaning it was safe for me to eat. I'd had tea with Empress Arabella and Brooke before but this somehow felt more formal. Perhaps because the Queen of Nalway was on my ten o'clock and Prin Odette on my 8 o'clock.

"It is so wonderful for all of us to gather here this afternoon," Empress Arabella began happily, looking around at us. "We have my mother, my mother-in-law and my daughter-in-law to be. Thank you all for taking the time out to be here."

"I would never miss the chance to have afternoon tea with such fine company," Queen Indra stated. "We rarely to get to spend time together since we are so far away."

Prin Odette had returned to her quiet and observant attitude. Unlike the rest of us who wore warm colors, she was dressed somberly in black. Queen Indra's eyes flitted to Prin Odette's dress and she lightly shook her head in distaste.

"I must admit, your son has done splendid work with the empire," Queen Indra said to her.

"He has. Both of my sons were blessed with exceptional skills in leadership. I suppose they take after their parents."

The table went quiet at her words and Empress Arabella shakily put down the cup of tea she'd been drinking. Queen Indra glanced at her daughter and a small frown crossed her face as she turned to the Prin.

"Please, Prin Odette, let us not revisit the past at a time like this. It causes us all so much pain."

"Forgive me, Queen Indra. A mother's pain is always at her right hand. It sometimes feels like my other son will be forgotten if I don't say things like this."

"I can tell that his passing still pains you, Prin Odette. You still dress so somberly, even at an occasion like this."

"It's true that I am still in mourning," Prin Odette agreed, "But I've long since been particular to dark colors. I see you still like those bold, loud colors."

"Loud?" Queen Indra put down her scone and raised an eyebrow at Prin Odette.

They were both being well mannered, their expressions gentle and friendly, but there was a thick tension at the table.