The Battle of Terrid Chapter 4

Princess Celeste once again sat on the almost too stuffy daybed next to her window.  On the first morning of the Battle of Terrid, her father had woken up much earlier than usual.  When she'd said goodbye to him she didn't feel like a princess.  When she'd bawled with her face burrowed into her father's warm chest, so deep into its warmth that thought of war left her mind, she didn't feel like a princess.  Now, she realized, she wasn't a princess, she wasn't on a pedestal anymore.  She was like every other girl in the city.  A girl with a missing father.

Celeste mourned the loss of the men with the city.  Her chocolate-brown hair was carefully constructed into a high bun.  She wore a dark blue gown, near black, but not quite.  She felt like a widow.

On this paticular morning, the abandoned citadel of Terra Fina was like a house the day after burlary, a feeling of loss in the form of low-hanging fog hung over the city.  The faint sound of sobbing echoed through the streets.  Children's toys lay abandoned.

Celeste started at the noise of the door creaking behind her.  She turned to see Mae, her nurse, shyly poking her head past the door frame.

"Miss," she whispered, bowing her head politely, "may I come in?"

"Of course Mae.  You're always welcome."  Mae was Celeste's favorite lady-in-waiting.  A few years older than Celeste, Mae seemed to understand the trials and tribulations of royalty.

"You seem down miss," Mae meekly whispered, sitting down next to Celeste. "May I interest you in breakfast and a warm bath?  The food's getting cold and you look awfully tired."

"No.  I don't need any of that."  Suddenly a high-pitched sob pushed past her lips.  Celeste slumped over onto Mae's lap, crying.  The young maid was shocked, but gently patted her charge's head.

"Oh Mae!  Why does this war have to happen?!  Can't we have a peaceful meeting?"

"You know why, " Mae's voice became stern, "Those primitive elves were wasting this land, and performing absolutely wicked and demonic!"  Celeste was shocked.  She'd never heard her kind, loving, nurse speak with so much hate.

"Those evil, hateful elves!" Mae spat, "Your father didn't have the heart to tell you this Celeste, but the humans are the purset of Terrid and will always be!"  

"But I don't think-" Celeste began.  Before she could finish her thought, the door burst open.  A stout, obese butler, his cherry tomato face dripping with sweat shouted something incomprehensiby into the room.

Celeste was hoisted off of the daybed by Mae and pulled out of her drawing room.  Outside of the drawing room there was complete chaos.  Nobles and servants raan shouting through the halls.

"Elves!" a woman's voice screamed.  Time slowed to a near halt for Celeste.  Her blood froze in her veins.

"To the bunker!" a guard's voice commanded.  The sound of hundreds of feet skidding on carpet stung Celeste's ears into perceptiveness.  She heard the faint sound of boots hitting the floor.  Elves.

                *          *       *         *        *        *       *      *      *     *    *     *    *    *    *   *   *      *

Princess Celeste of Terra Fina never made it to the bunker.  In her confusion she was able to get lost in her own home.  She looked desperately for Mae, a guard, anyone!

Celese ducked into a small library on the West wing if the castle.  She could hear their boots hitting the wooden stairs.  They were close.  Huddled underneath a mahogany table Celeste was finally able to catch her breath.  But not for long.  They were in the hall.  Celeste sighed and folded her head into her knees.  The small silver tiara that sat in the princess' hair was tossed from her head and bounced across the floor, tinkling like a little bell.

The sound of boots stopped in the hallway.  The sound of floorboards creaking stopped and slowly the wearer retraced his steps.  The other elves followed.

'No, no!' thought Celeste.  'Not today!'  The door slowly creaked open.  The world faded to black for Celeste