The Battle of Terrid Chapter 3

A week before battle came to the elves, General Topbranch gathered the six juvenile elves chosen to fight in a grassy field. It was a clandestine meeting, and none of the children were allowed to tell their parents what was going to occur in the small field. 

General Topbranch eyed the elves mysteriously.  Even though he attended many of his father's meetings, Caleb couldn't remember hearing the general speak.  Ever.  He was a tall, slender elf, with long platinum hair and nut brown skin creased by wrinkles.  He had small eyes that dug into your soul like a knife into skin.

After staring into the elves' face for quite some time the general spoke.  "Personally I disagree with Darius' decision to let our youths go to war," he stared past the elf-lings, and he spoke as if he were alone.  " I think that you are to young to learn about the truths of our world, the horror of war, and our deep hatred for humans."

 "Anyways," he continued, "I want to see where your fighting skills are now, so grab a partner have a short duel."

Caleb turned around to wink at Elm but she had already responded by pulling her mace out of her belt.

"Get ready, get set, GO!"

Elm immediately charged at Caleb, mace outstretched.  Caleb flinched.  What should he do? Run? Duck? Dodge? Without thought, Caleb's hand slipped backward towards his hips.  Then he felt a cold yet warm object.  Of course.  The Serpent Blade.  Like lightning, he grabbed the hilt of sword and parried Elm's mace.  The female elf lost her balance and was sent careening into Caleb's blind spot.   Now she could attack him from behind.  

Caleb heard the soft brush of boots on dewy grass.  He turned around quickly.  However, too late.  The butt of Elm's mace thrust into his stomach.  Caleb's breath caught in his throat.  The harsh, agonizing scream that was building up in his body came out as a small, shocked yelp of pain.

************************************************************************************************************

Eight days later...

The night before battle Darius gathered his troops in the meeting house, the largest building in the village.   At the head of the table stood powerful, brown-haired Darius Starleaf.

"Warriors! My brave, brave, friends.  Tomorrow we have a battle... the battle of our lives.  I have to be honest.  Some will be lost. But not all.  And when we walk into Terra Fina, now having it as our own we will know...that we are victors."

Author's Note:  Sorry this took so long! Hope you like it!