The Battle of Terrid Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

Caleb sat on the edge of the elfin docks, staring out toward the Sea of Prospero.  The wind whispered through his chestnut colored hair.  All of a sudden he felt a hand on his shoulder.

            “Caleb…your father wants to talk to you.”

            He spun around to face the speaker.  Elm Sparrowtorch looked back at him, her arm outstretched.

            “C’mon.” she smiled at him.

            Caleb grabbed her hand and together they ran toward the center of the temporary village.

            “Do you know what he wants to talk to me about?” Caleb asked quizzically.

            “I don’t know,” she responded, “something about The Rebellion.”  Caleb’s heartbeat sped up quickly.  For about twelve years the humans had conquered different parts of Terrid.   They had left the elves a small chunk of land that was not sufficient for harvesting food and performing rituals.  The elves had, with the help of their Chieftain (Caleb’s father) decided to revolt.

            When Elm and Caleb reached the Town Center, Elm let go of Caleb’s hand.

            “I don’t want us to look stupid when we walk in.  Who knows?  They may ask us to fight.” She said, winking at him.  Caleb’s heart soared.  He and Elm were good friends, but deep down he had a miniscule crush on her.  He couldn’t help but staring into those deep cobalt eyes, the reflection of his own hazel eyes in them, like pools of oil…

            “…Um Caleb…”

            “Sorry,” he yelled, “let’s go inside.”  Inside of the thatched wooden shanty stood his father, Darius the Brave, General Topbranch, and several other soldiers.  They were deliberating over a map with 3-D figurines on it.   All of a sudden Darius looked up from the map.

            “Elm, Caleb.  It’s good to see you.” He said cheerfully.

            “How could you tell we had walked in, Father?” Caleb asked.

            “Elfin sixth sense, Son.  Elfin sixth sense.” He said while affectionately tugging on Caleb’s tapered ear.

            “You are probably wondering why I have called you two the Town center.” He continued.  “I believe that you, Caleb, are old enough to join us in The Rebellion.  Elm, your father agrees with me, too.  You will help us storm the human’s castle in Terra Fina, their capital.   Our plan is to ransack the castle so that nothing valuable is left.  This will give the humans a warning that we are a dangerous and powerful group.  About weapons-“

            “We get to use weapons!” both the young elves yelled.

            “Yes,” Darius said, “but don’t make me rethink my idea.  We handpicked you two to fight for us because you are the most mature.  For you, Elm, I have a steel mace.”  He pulled out of a bin a long rod with a spiked ball attached.

            “It is elfin steel so it is much lighter than any human material ever made.”  He said as he handed the mace to Elm.

            Elm inspected the brand new weapon tossing it in her small hands.  “It’s beautiful, sir.” She said gratefully.

            “For you Caleb, I have something very special.” Darius said.  He pulled out from behind him a beautiful long sword.  On its hilt were two snakes intertwined gracefully.  On the other side was a picture of Layla, the elfin goddess of war.   In her hand was a miniature copy of the sword Caleb now held.