"Nightmare"

DAMIEN | POV

Shrouded in darkness I looked around for light. Nothing all around. I pulled out my phone and turned on the flash.

"Perfect." I murmur.

The light peirces the darkness around me like a hot knife in butter.

Two tunnels ahead, only one of me. My thought is interrupted by a splash behind me. My head snapped back.

One of them had fallen in behind me. The body slowly stands up and pursues me at a walking pace.

I take off running down one of the tunnels not thinking about where it leads. Eventually I stumble along so far into the tunnel that the sloshing of feet in the distance had become almost non existent.

Looking through the rusted bars I could see a ladder on the other end, and light shining down onto it. Now all I had to do was get to the other side.

I start kicking the caroded bars. The noise echoes down the tunnel, alerting anything living to my location.

Almost no progress was being made. I slung my backpack over my shoulder and began to dig through the bag. My hands swept past old papers and grocery bags until I felt the cold metal of my pocket knife.

I clicked the blade outward and began chipping away at the top of the rusted metal.

Growling and splashing noises started coming into range. "Fuck faster than I thought." I said out loud.

I started a pattern. Three chips with the knife then two kicks. Three chips, two kicks. The noise got closer and closer. I didn't want to know what was going to happen if they made it to me.

"Come the fuck on!" I yell.

They were close, so close. I gave it one more kick. Everything came free and the bars fell over into the water.

I scrambled out of the way, and over to the ladder.

My hands gripped tight to ladder as I made my way up towards the light. Once my head was above ground I looked around for a sign to figure out where exactly I was.

I caught a glimpse of a green sign. It read "Turnpike." I wasnt far now. I cut through parking lots and empty roads, trying to stay away from everyone else deeper in the city.

Soaked. My shoes were soaked, the socks made my feet feel cold.

The engine of a truck caught my attention. I turned around to see a red pick up truck driving towards me. It was familiar.

"Hey man!" The man's deep voice echoed.

"Ray?" I squinted looking down the road.

"Hell yeah man, come on let's go!" He responded.

I jogged over to the truck. "Can you tell me what in the hell is going on?" I ask.

"Hop in I'll tell you on the way back." Ray says.

Author Notes

With the third chapter behind us I'm already working on chapter four. This story is going to go by faster than I know it.

Interesting chapter going forward in the story I hope. You guys were introduced to Ray this chapter. Not much to say about him just yet.

You'll see more of him next chapter, so don't worry.

Make sure to just in my profile and ask me questions about the story if necessary.

Well that's all for now. Until next time.