Beautiful Distraction

I appeared back on my bed, my breath quick but a smile growing on my face. I had done it, I had my first kiss and it had been the most gorgeous specimen on the face of this Earth. Well maybe he wasn't on this Earth at the moment, but whatever. I looked at the clock, four o'clock, so I flopped onto my pillows once more and stared up at the ceiling, trying to brand the memory into my brain so I never forgot the way my heart just exploded. He was so perfect it wasn't fair, why did I have to be stuck here with all of these idiots when he was just waiting in that book. He said there was a way to get him into my world, but that I wasn't ready to do it. Well I was ready now Sherlock, I was ready. When dinner was ready I didn't want to get up and face my family, they'd ask me what I was so happy about and I wouldn't be able to answer. Oh, my homework was fun, school was just a miracle to attend, I had just kissed a murderer from the 1800's. Somehow the latter wouldn't work out so well. I trudged out the door anyway, not hungry one bit even though I had barely eaten anything for a while. Harry was just starting to slide off the couch, and my dad was sleeping in his armchair. I don't know why it made me mad, because they were so lazy or just not Sherlock? I walked into the dining room, sinking into a chair and frowning at the food in front of me. Mom had made a pot roast, usually one of my favorite meals, but this time the smell didn't appeal to me at all.

"Dinner come on dear, wake up!" Mom called. There was a loud groan from the living room, my dad evidently waking up. Harry appeared in the doorway, her dyed hair a mess and her earbuds hanging out of one ear. She sat in the seat beside me and grabbed a roll from the basket closest.

"Wait for everyone else." I growled, making her stop what she was doing to laugh.

"Since when did you get all righteous?" she snapped, breaking the bread apart and grabbing the butter knife.

"I said WAIT!" I yelled, smacking the roll out of her hand so it fell onto the tablecloth, the knife clattering to the plate with a clang. Harry didn't respond with the usual violence, she just stared at me with shock, not daring to pick it back up.

"What has gotten into you John?" she asked.

"What was that sound?" Mom asked, coming in with a large pitcher of water.

"John is going PMS." Harry guessed. I scowled at my plate, knowing the silent judging that was going on in the room.

"Are you okay honey?" Mom asked, starting to pour the water.

"I'm fine." I decided, but that was a lie. It seemed like the tight knot of hate in my stomach was starting to unravel ever so slightly. My annoyance for Harry's rudeness had obviously been one of the first solved. But that was a good thing, I couldn't stand up for myself, I wouldn't sit back quietly while people misbehaved. Common sense.

 "Come on dear, it's time for dinner!" Mom called through the living room once again. Dad obviously got up from the shaking in the floor, walking over and sitting at the head of the table. Yes, because he deserved to be the head of the house, the fat beer jug that only showed up for meals. Once again my fists clenched under the table. We all started eating, but I only poked the food around on my plate with dislike.

"So how was school today John?" Mom asked a pathetic attempt to start conversation.

 "Boring and way too long." I decided, the truth every kid would say.

"That's a shame. What are you learning now?"

"Not quite sure." I admitted, making Harry snicker beside me. I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down. What was it today that made everything seem so nasty? It should be the best day of my life, given what happened between Sherlock and I, but apparently the world had a dense fog over it, shrouding me from all the joys. Or was it the fog had lifted, and I saw the world as its horrible self?