chapter 5

I wished beyond wished, that there was some other super-human group out there, waiting for a mission.  I wanted to be anywhere than here right now.  The Arch de Triomphe was gorgeous, and so was the view.  That wasn’t it.  We were here waiting for the last person on Earth that I wanted to see.

            Fang and his group were twenty minutes late.  The wait was really getting to us when they showed up.

            “So, you finally decided to show up.” Gazzy said, smugly.  He was the antsiest.  He looked about ready to turn the Arch into a pile of rubble from the anxiety of waiting.

            “Hey Gasman, sorry to keep you waiting,” Fang replied coolly to his retort.  Gazzy scowled.

            “So, do you guys have a place we can go and plan?” Fang said to our silence, first looking at me shyly, then away quickly, his black eyes swooping over the flocks’.  Maya was glaring at me, but I barely noticed.  I didn’t care anymore.  The rest of their group, Ratchet the one similar to Angel, could tell when you were coming and was handy with a knife; Kate the girl who was so strong, but still looked like a supermodel, Holden Squibb the guy covered scars and could reattach his limbs (mental shiver) and of course, Fang.  It still felt odd to me how they were all teenagers, but, I guess I understood, because Fang never really was into baby-sitting.

            “We rented a room a hotel about half a mile from here,” Iggy said, speaking up.

            “Alright, then, let’s get moving,” Kate said, urging us on.  She was probably also anxious to get her friend back, like Gazzy was to get his little sis’.  She looked towards me and I just nodded in the direction of the hotel.

            Our combined group began walking.  Iggy, Gazzy, Ratchet and Holden were towards the front, Fang and Maya next, Kate and Nudge were quietly chatting, and Dylan and I were in the back.  I was walking next to Dylan, listening to him take sharp breaths in and out.  Still walking, I looked up at him. 

            “What’s wrong, Dylan?  You seem angry and you’ve been abnormally quiet lately.

            “See you so upset because of Fang makes me want to gut him.”

            “Whoa, whoa, whoa,” I said, a bit shocked, but not too shocked.  “Let’s not be too hasty.”

            He sighed.  “Alright.  For your sake.”  We continued on in silence.  I picked up some of the other’s conversations.

Nudge was saying, “Your favorite color is green, too?  That’s so cool!”

            Gazzy was describing a new form of torture that he wanted to try out on the One Light.  It was quite descriptive using words that I wasn’t sure that a kid his age should know.

            Then there was Fang and Maya.  I tried to ignore them, but it was difficult.  They were walking so close to each other, hands almost touching.  They were talking quietly together, I couldn’t quite hear them.  Fang kept smiling the whole walk back and Maya would giggle occasionally.  Even though she was my clone, there were some things that were very different about us.  But also similar.  We both…loved Fang.  I still had to admit it, even though I hated him, I loved him too.  It was a love-hate feeling that I had for him.  I hated him for stopping loving me.  I hated him because I still loved him.