chapter 1

-------------------------------Suggestion-------------------------------

I suggest you read the Maximum Ride novels BEFORE reading this.  You may be confused other wise because I don't really describe who the characters are very much.  This story is of what I think should happen after the most recent book in the series.

Recap of James Patterson’s book: Angel

Angel goes missing after the flock defeats the Doomsday group and the Place de la Concorde blows-up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angel.  Her sweet face filled my mind.  Then I saw the pain in her bright blue eyes.  The image panned out and I saw first her whole head and then the rest of her body.  On her head laid her crown of flowing blond hair, streaming out on the whiteness on which she lay.  Her tiny body seemed to be swallowed by the white light.  Her eyes pleaded with me.  She was trying to ask me something.  Beg seemed to be a better word for it. 

“Max!” she cried.  “Max!  Help me!”  Tears began to crowd at the corners of her eyes.

“Angel!”  I shouted back.  But she was already starting to fade.  “Angel!”

Then I jerked up straight, panting from my dream.  Yes, I just realized that it was a dream.  I was breathing hard, hot tears steamed on my cheeks.  I opened my eyes to reveal Dylan hovering over me, a worried look on my face.  I sighed.

“Max?  Are you alright?  You were screaming.”  Pain and worry filled his face, concern in his eyes.  ”Max?”

I whimpered and tucked my knees under me, holding them tight, scooting away from him.  I didn’t want to deal with anyone right now.  If it was a normal catastrophe, I would wipe my tears away and try to look tough.  But not today.  Not with the problem that was at hand.  It was horrible.  My worst nightmare.  (And believe me; I’ve had some pretty bad ones.)

Angel.  Angel was…..  No, I couldn’t think about that.  The flock assumed the worst.  I tried to hope, but, the facts just didn’t support it.  But then again, I was never really one to listen to others.  I usually stuck to my instincts and my instincts only.  This was definitely a time where I did not want to hear what others were saying.  I couldn’t bear it.  They believed that Angel was…was…dead.

I shook those horrible thoughts out of my head.  She wasn’t dead, she couldn’t be.  She told me, promised me that she would always be there for me.  I could hear her voice in my head.  “I will always be with you.”  Her sweet whisper swooshed through my head.  The memory of her only brought more tears to my eyes.

But then the leader in me took over as I looked around the crowded hotel room we had all pitched in to rent out.  Nudge and Iggy were quietly watching the TV, Iggy was more listening than watching.  You know, with the whole being blind thing.  Dylan was, as usual, hovering, annoying the heck out of me.

But then there was Gazzy.  Oh, poor Gazzy.  His sister, Angel, was of course on his mind.  I thought it was bad for me, losing my baby (Well, she isn’t actually my baby but I feel like her mother sometimes.), it must have been ten times worse for him, losing his only relative.  Wait!  Did I just hear my thoughts correctly?  No, no, no.  Angel was not dead and that was final.  She was just…lost, perhaps. 

“Or taken,” I thought, but then I realized that it was audible.  All eyes turned to me, except for Iggy’s.  I just sat there staring at them all in silence.

“What are you talking about, Max?”  Nudge prompted me.

I considered for a moment what I was thinking but then I saw Gazzy’s tear streaked face and decided against it.  “Umm, nothing.”  I turned away from the flock’s probing eyes.

I saw Nudge sigh and look back towards the television, but I was certain that she wasn’t concentrating on it.  Iggy had a visible frown on his face, and new tears formed in Gazzy’s eyes.  Dylan still looked worried.  But at the moment, I didn’t care about Dylan.

Before Angel went missing, I began thinking that maybe, just maybe, Dylan wasn’t so bad.  Maybe could even like him.  But now, Angel was all that occupied my mind.  I didn’t care about my own petty little problems.  Angel had top priority.

            I gingerly stood up on my legs, weak with fatigue from searching for Angel and wobbly from shock of the situation.  I walked towards the door, and again, all eyes turned to me.

            “Where are you going, Max?”  Gazzy said through tears.

            Dylan stood up and walked towards me.  “Wherever it is, I’m going with you,”  he said.  I frowned and growled at him.  He backed away, arms up in surrender.  “Alright, alright!  You can go by yourself.”

            I wasn’t so sure he was going to keep to his word, but for now he stayed away.  I got to the door, my hand on the knob and beckoned Gazzy towards me.  He slowly stood up, his eyes never leaving my face and walked over to me.  I out stretched my arm and he took my hand and followed me out the door.

            We walked down the hall in silence for a few minutes before Gazzy spoke.

            “Max?”  I looked down at him.

            “Yes, Gaz?”

            “Where are we going?”

            “To find your little sister, of course.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey!  Thanks for reading this!  I know it's short, but I'm just getting started.  Maximum Ride is my FAVORITE series of ALL time!  If you haven't read all the books, I highly suggest them!

read, comment, vote, please!!!