Chapter 13 - Care Enough

*Song: Angel Baby by Troye Sivan*

//////

The moment I open the door, I get swung over and pinned against the door.

'What the hell are you doing here?'

Not adjusted to the darkness yet, I can only see her burning eyes and feel her warm scent breathing on my face.

'I-I..' The sudden proximity and the touch of her forearm across my chest make me stumble over my words.

'If you want someone to cuddle, you can go to Gabriel.' She states coldly, yet the pressure she puts on me is unmoved.

I shake my head, trying to ignore the unbearable tension between us.

And her perky boobs underneath the thin white tank top. I gulp.

And her black-laced thong. God, stop.

In silence, there's a glint of hesitation in her eyes, and something more. Something that binds us all along.

'Then, what do you want?' She speaks in a tone that one would think is soft. Her sharp brows furrowed.

You. 'I want to tell you about why I can't ask God...'

'I don't want to know now.' She cuts me off, backing away.

I almost fall to the floor when l lose her support.

'But-'

'No.' She crosses her arms, eyes never leaving mine. 'You didn't think I'd go back for you.'

The words waffle out of her lips. I can tell she's trying to keep her cool, her statement emotionless, yet the white knuckles give her frustration away.

'I didn't think you cared enough.' I sign, telling the truth.

'What made you think so?' She asks, then lets out a joyless chuckle as if realising the obvious.

She speaks dryly, 'Yeah, I suppose everything I did or said screams "I don't give a shit".'

I let the words settle for a moment, and ask cautiously, purely out of curiosity, 'But, do you, care enough?'

Morana stares at me, slowly, she sighs and says, 'I went back to Hell and asked Lucifer to grant Abbatino immortality...'

My mouth opens out of surprise, and she continues, '...because I wanted to save your life. And that, is how much I care.'

My brain is blank, I don't have the right words to respond to her sincerity. So, I simply stare.

Is she admitting her feelings for me?

She remains quiet, for once, calm as a winter lake.

The sound of the clock ticking fills the frail space between us. Each tick tightens the string that connects us, pulling me towards Morana.

I think of her saying she has no soul, yet how can someone cares so much and has a sea of emotions be soulless?

She doesn't see how she's shining, shining in the light of a living being.

I'd say I am not one who easily gives in to temptation, but I am right now.

With one small step forward, I cup her face with both palms and kiss her.

I detect her hesitation for a millisecond before she responds hungrily.

She holds me to the wall once again, this time with her hand on one of my breasts, kneading with a sense of determination.