Chapter 10 - She Cares

*Song: Leave Before You Love Me by Marshmello (ft. Jonas Brothers)

//////

'Okay, it's done. Let's go.' Morana rushes me after she puts a tracker on Abbatino's car.

We were outside of the factory for a stakeout today. Finally, Abbatino showed up.

We stayed put until 7 pm, and he hadn't left the facilities since.

Because Morana said she needed Abbatino's head to prove to the investor, we couldn't just shoot him from afar.

'Why didn't you use trackers before?' I ask from the backseat of her motorbike.

She tilts her head, answering nonchalantly under the helmet, 'I didn't want to waste my trackers on random guards.'

I nod, letting silence fill the thin gap between us.

After we park the motorbike at the bay, we go back to the hotel straight away.

'What should we do now?' I watch Morana taking off her leather jacket and hair tie, and can't help but admire how oddly elegant her every move is.

'Well, waiting,' she comes closer with an alluring smile, 'or we can have some fun...'

Her words disappear on my lips. She kisses me tenderly, yet her hands go eagerly into my top to undo my bra and push me closer to her.

Her soft tongue invites itself into my mouth, pulling me into a swirl of her sweet scent.

I want to give myself to her, but the conversation we left at the restaurant last night comes back to me. The dimmed look on Morana's face makes it impossible for me to concentrate on the present.

'What's wrong?' She breaks the kiss, hands holding my waist.

'I...I can't do this right now.' I sigh, fingers shaping her collarbones.

'Why?'

'I just...keep thinking of what you said about not having a soul.' And how it is impossible for us to form any sort of relationship if you believe so.

Now she sighs, letting go of me. 'Why are you overthinking this? It is just what it is.'

'Because I don't think you have no soul even though I can't promise it.' I hold her face with two palms, looking straight into her eyes, hoping that she knows I mean it.

I know as long as she thinks she has no soul, she can't let herself have any sort of emotions let alone grow feelings for someone else.

And I don't want to grow feelings for her if she doesn't even try to reciprocate them.

She smirks, saying sarcastically, 'Then you should ask God about it.'

'I...I will.'

'Why not now?'

'Um...God is busy.' I avert my eyes, avoiding a straight answer. Somehow, I don't feel like admitting to her that I can't hear God.

Her signature sarcastic smirk appears on her lips, 'Yeah, I thought so. He is not here.'

That's not true. I want to retort, but eventually, I swallow my words.

//////

A week later—

We now know Abbatino goes to the factory regularly from around 10 am to 8 pm.

I am not sure why Morana hasn't done anything to chop Abbatino's head off, but I can't find the courage to ask.

She has been somewhat distant ever since I said I couldn't be intimate with her because of the whole 'no soul' situation.

I understand that she probably feels like I am using it as an excuse to avoid sex, but really? After we spent the whole day doing nothing but each other, would she really believe that I am rejecting her?