chapter twenty-five

━━ CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE / losing you

Sleep was never fitful for Demi, not even with Lockwood curled up into her side. When her eyes snapped open after a particularly ghoulish nightmare that she couldn't even remember now, his arm was curled up against her stomach. His head pressed into her hair, his entire body tugging her close to him. An unconscious attempt to make up for what he had done and Demi had no choice but to let it happen.

His hold was tight on her and she lay there, the warmth radiating off him as she stared at his bedroom wall. Her hand pulled up towards her face and she looked over the cuts, bandaged shoddily and the frown appeared. It didn't entirely surprise her now that she looked at it with fresh eyes that he had avoided the kiss. She would have too in his position.

But then, she felt Lockwood move. His hand moved from being wrapped around her up to her face where he gently brushed her hair out of the way. It fell gracefully from her shoulder and he leant forward, nuzzling his face sleepily into her neck. She could feel the breathe on her skin but closed her eyes against it.

"Lockwood," She said softly and he let out a sleepy 'hm' of acknowledgement which made her sigh, "I need painkillers." That was a lie. The pain hadn't hit her yet but she couldn't deal with how close he was. It was making her head hurt. He let out a mumble of something that she didn't quite catch and then she was free from him.

He rolled over in the bed to reach into his bedside drawer and Demi slipped out of the bed completely without a second though. Lockwood was lankier than she was and his t-shirt had gotten caught around her hips which she tugged down as she stiffly moved across the room.

But before she could make it to the door, Lockwood was up and rushing towards her. His body blocked the door as he looked down at her, concern etched across his face.

"Where are you going?" He asked. It wasn't an optional question. It was a demand. Tell or she wouldn't leave but Demi didn't want to tell.

"To bed," She mumbled. That was a lie. She was going to go downstairs and probably end up hurting herself while she tried to cook breakfast. But he didn't need to know that. She didn't want him to know that. He frowned.

"Do you want to go back to your room?" He asked. Demi nodded and he stepped out of the way. She gave him a half-smile and stepped towards the door, pulling it open. When she trudged out, George was walking down to the bathroom and she stared at the back of his head for a minute before she walked down the stairs behind him. He didn't even notice her as he went into the bathroom but Lockwood noticed how she didn't go to her room at all.

Every movement was awkward and stiff as she reached the kitchen. It didn't hurt as much as a few hours ago but it was still enough to make her want to cry. DEPRAC had checked her over at Combe Carey Hall and she was beginning to remember the concerned faces of the EMT when they saw the bruises. The painkillers in the white bag on the table were the reminder that Demi needed that they had in fact written her a painkiller prescription. Demi wasn't sure who had even picked it up but she opened the crinkly bag and looked inside.