chapter ten

━━ CHAPTER TEN / sheen road episode one, part one

episode one, part one.

Upon the arrival of Lucy, a new routine began. Demi's mornings stayed almost exactly the same. Wake up, make her bed, go for a run, shower, eat breakfast but she quickly began cooking for both her and Lucy. The pair of them would sit and talk over breakfast and Lucy would have another set of questions for Demi to answer that day.

It was nice to have another girl around and it didn't take long for Lucy to notice Demi's obvious infatuation with Lockwood. The brunette didn't say a word about it but it was obvious they cared about each other. Especially when they began to go out for jobs. There had been three cases the trio had done together since Lucy had joined and they were either colossal failures or successful.

George had been researching each of their jobs for weeks which meant that the day before they headed out, they were sat down in the living room and given extensive notes on what to expect. George claimed that he was too busy researching other cases to go to these particular houses but Demi had a feeling that he was just a little too scared to go.

One of the houses was a cluster case. There had been at least three violent murders in the house and that was where they completely failed with the case. They had done everything right. Iron chains, salt bombs, everything that would be needed to get it under control but they had completely failed. Lucy had been instantly thrown off by the horrifying noises in the house, Demi had fumbled with her rapier and ended up cutting herself and dropping it down the stairs which meant that Lockwood had to defend her - though he did that anyway - and the iron chain had been disrupted by Lucy stumbling which meant that they had no safe place to go.

It had been a complete mess and so when Lockwood ordered them to get out of the house, the trio were more than happy to. They stood in the garden each with varying looks of annoyance, exhaustion and horror. Demi was glad to be out. The brief images that her Touch had thrown at her mind were disgusting enough. She never wanted to step foot in the house again.

And after they were unsuccessful in the first night, the homeowner, Mr Trout, decided that they would never be able to deal with it so fired them from the job. Lockwood had been annoyed about it for an hour or so before he realised that it was probably better that someone else dealt with it. Or, better yet, the house be left to decay. Sometimes spectres were better to be left to rot, alone, without any sort of human contact.

The other two cases the trio had been on were more tolerable. George still had decided against joining the trio - much to Demi's annoyance - but they didn't end up needing him in the end. Locating the Source between Demi's Touch and Lucy's Listening had been an easy task and they were secured within a few hours of being at the houses.

Demi slept well that night but she knew that their newest client would not be such an easy task. George had been unable to do any research on it. He knew nothing about the house and so when Demi, Lucy and Lockwood walked down Sheen Road towards the house, they were going in completely blind.