chapter twenty-three

━━ CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE / the monksepisode three, part six

episode three, part six.

It was dark, very dark. It bothered Demi a little but she tried not to think about it. All she needed to think about was getting out of here and with Lockwood walking right beside her, it made it easier to deal with. His hand hovered close to hers but he never actually held it. They both needed the hand free in case something happened.

Being able to throw a salt bomb or pull out a rapier was more important than the comfort of holding hands would give them. The group of four walked cautiously down the hallways, shining their torches and taking everything in. Demi kept her hands away from the walls, she didn't want to hear or feel anything more.

Eventually, she would have to but for now, she wanted to keep her thoughts as her own. She deserved that solace especially when the group came across the Red Room. Lockwood twisted the handle of the door open and they stepped inside. Demi was immediately behind him, avoiding any touch of the wall for now as they shone their torches around.

But George's hand pressed against the walls and it confirmed what Demi suspected, "There's bad energy in these walls," He said. Demi glanced back at him, a small frown appeared on her lips and she walked over to him, "A lot of bad energy." Her footsteps were quiet against the wood as she placed her hand above where George had put his. George's touch wasn't as strong as Demi's and she winced against the noise that echoed through her mind.

Screaming, bad energy and dripping. A dripping sound but when Demi's eyes snapped back open, there was nothing that would cause the dripping. It was just the four of them alone in the room but it was certainly the Red Room that Fairfax spoke of.

"There's screaming. Chaos. There's too many voices," Lucy added as she stopped just in front of the doorway. That's how Demi had felt downstairs but it seemed that the noises had subsided completely. It was eerie silent when Demi took her hand off the wall. She then turned around to Lockwood who was looking for death-glows.

"It's not very red though, is it?" George commented. Demi hummed in agreement as she twisted on her heel to take in the enormous room. On the sides of the room, there were two adjacent fireplaces. A giant mirror over the right fireplace while the other lay bare. The room was empty. No windows bar from the odd barn-door-like walls which let some moonlight leak through. It was an eerie room with large panelling and a distinct feeling of unease. Yet there was no red. The walls were swathed in a soft baby blue, There had to be more to this.

Lockwood seemed to have sensed it and he was quick to order everyone around, "Luce, help me with the chain. George, Demi, secure our retreat." They got to work. The chain circle was created in the middle of the room and George spread iron filings along the doorway as Demi placed a heavy weight in front of the door. That meant it should have stayed open. No ghost could move that much weight - or so they thought.

Once the door was secured, George began to walk across the room, mapping it out in hopes of finding the source. Demi walked around on the other side, feeling for anything. Her fingertips were close to the wall but she refused to touch it, wanting to get the tingling feeling she got when they were close to a Source rather than the images that touching the wall would throw her way. Finding the Source was the priority.