Chapter 6

Justine’s voice snapped me out of my state of shock.

“Shane, this is Taylor,” she said, gesturing to me and saying, “Stephanie’s friend that she invited for dinner.”

Shane quickly took his eyes off of me, sending a small smile towards his step-mom before returning to look at me with curiosity. “Justine,” he said, “we’ve met already.”

“You have?” She questioned.

I nodded.

“Taylor!” Stephanie yelled excitedly. “You’re here!”

I smiled sheepishly. Then Justine’s eyes grew slightly before she nodded. “Oh, you’re the Taylor! I didn’t know you were friends with Shane,” she explained. “Shane and Steph told me about you, and since they’re so different I thought it was a different person; I just didn’t put two and two together.”

As she finished, nobody really said anything and I think we could all sense that the atmosphere floating around the room at the moment that was definitely filled with awkwardness.

“So,” Justine breaking the deafening silence, “Are you all friends?”

“Umm, Taylor and I are. Shane has Brooke.” Stephanie replied, pointedly at Shane.

Before I could even process this answer, Shane step towards me and draped his arm around my shoulders. “Don’t lie Steph, it’s not nice.” He stated.

I think I broke my neck at how fast I whipped my head to scowl at him. He seemed like he was joking, since he formed a small smirk on his lips.

“Justine,” he started, turning his body to face his step-mother.  “Justine, you should know that we have three classes together, and we’re quite close friends,” he finished, wiggling his eyebrows.

“Isn’t that right Tay?” he asked, looking at my face with an innocent smile.

I started to shake my head, trying to disagree with everything he said, but then Stephanie stepped in.

“Mom, don’t believe a word he says.” She said.

I shrugged in defeat. If he wanted to play this game then I would too. I was just glad I had Stephanie to stick up for me.

Before, Stephanie could continue though, a young girl walked up.

She tugged Justine’s shirt, and pointed to her grumbling belly.

Justine smiled down at her and nodded to some unspoken conversation.

She began making hand movements. ‘Not yet but it shouldn’t be too long,’ she signed to her. That must be Stephanie’s deaf sister.

Looking at Stephanie she said, “Why don’t you all go watch television while Michael and I finish barbequing?” she suggested.

Stephanie grabbed my hand, her sister’s hand and tugged us into the living room.

Shane, being the idiot that he is, just followed us in there and plopped onto the couch.

I sat at the opposite of the couch, next to Stephanie, and crossed my legs.

I didn’t do well in these types of situations, where people I barely knew were surrounded around me. I mean, sure I was friends with Steph, but still it was awkward.

“Are you just going to sit there and do nothing?” Shane asked, looking at me.

“Shane leave her alone,” Stephanie said.

Suddenly, the little girl grabbed my hand and pulled me in to the hallway. I didn’t question it because I didn’t want to seem mean. She led me into a brightly colored pink and yellow room and sat down on the bed. She motioned for me to sit next to her.