The King

Okay, this is almost 4,000 words, which means it'll be pretty long, you don't need to read this...
____________________
"I'm the King!"

The small boy shouted this at his mother. She turned from her computer screen, her face plastered with confusion and worry.

"Max," she spoke softly. "What exactly are you The King of?" The boy had been saying he was The King for a while now. Nothing more, just The King. At first it was cute, but he had kept saying it. Miss Copper had begun to think there was something wrong with her son. Max's face twisted into an angry and mighty expression.

"My name is not Max!" He yelled running away. Usually he would go outside to his tree house, but this time he ran up the stairs, no doubt he was going to go put on his costume, which was made up of a crown, a worn out white blanket tied around his neck (it was really now a light grey), and a stick he used as a scepter. The woman sighed and returned back to her typing. After a minute she decided to quit what she was doing and instead she started searching child psychologists. When she found one that seemed alright, she picked up the phone and dialed. The receptionist picked up. Miss Copper told her that she needed an appointment for her son. They talked for awhile and Miss Copper briefed them on what she thought was wrong.

Loud footsteps emerged from the steps, "I'll be ruling my kingdom!" Max stated forcefully, walking through the back door, and marching to his treehouse, which he referred to as his Kingdom.

Miss Copper began to talk with the therapist office again. After explaining everything she thought wasn't right about her son to the receptionist, they scheduled a 4:30 appointment for the next day.

Back in the treehouse Max was mumbling to himself, or that's what it looked like, but to his eyes he was speaking to his subjects. There was Nick, Matt, Julia, Dave, Bert, and Angie. Max swore they were real, they looked real, he could talk to them and they could speak back. He knew the difference between imagination and reality, and the people he would talk to were alive.

"Your Highness, there's a women approaching the Kingdom." Dave told his King. Max looked perplexed. He didn't want to talk to his mom, he knew that she'd just question his royal status, and because he was only seven he didn't want to loose his friends or his Kingdom. Plus he knew his mom couldn't see them and that she hated when he spent his time ruling his Kingdom. She thought her son was crazy- even a five year old could see that, Max had thought when he discovered what his mom truly believed. Still, he got up from the floor. He knew it was either meet her, or have her come inside- and he did not want his mom to mess up his castle.

His mom was surprised to see him climb down the ladder. "Honey, how'd you know I was coming? I didn't see your head out the windows." Max rolled his eyes at how ignorant his mother could be.

"My servant Dave told me you were coming here." Miss Copper's face turned into a mixture of pity and sadness. Max noticed the change.

"Okay, well, tomorrow you have to cancel your plans, because we're going somewhere," she spoke gently. Max knew something was wrong, his mom didn't try to convince her son that everything was fake. She didn't even ask about the servant part of his sentence, which wasn't like usual. Max thought for a second.

"I'll have to talk to the subjects." He said. Max was smarter then he looked, and then his age would lead one to believe. Right now he was testing his mom; if she acted like it was fine, and that she didn't care, there was something that was going on that would happen tomorrow. If she acted like normal, questioning his all mighty Kingdom, it would be just another day.

She didn't respond, she just nodded her head and smiled. Max stared curiously for a moment, then rushed up to his tree house. Everyone was waiting there. Julia seemed the most nervous out of all of them. The subjects were standing by the window, so he closed it, making sure his mother couldn't see him talking to what she thought was nothing. "Are you going to leave us?" Julia was unnecessarily scared.