CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX

THE BELLS;
part one

RENNA HAD BEEN LOCKED IN her room all night, the sun finally peeking over the tall bed frame standing in the centre of the bright room. She didn't know it, but Kiara had been allowed out for dinner, meeting her fellow accomplice, Rafe Cameron, down on the floor below. She'd been waiting hopefully - expecting - the blonde to appear, but to her demise, it was as if she didn't exist. She yelled at the guards, asking them where she was and what they'd done. All they did was smile.

She stared out the window, watching the men walk laps around the yard with guns clutched tightly to their chests. They were forever on alert, waiting patiently for something or someone to jump out at them. That would happen very soon, they just didn't know it yet.

"Miss Lewis," a voice said from behind her, causing her to whip around. She'd been so lost in thought, so mindless, that she never even heard the door swing open and collide with the drawer behind it. "Come with me."

She eyed him warily but walked forward nevertheless, his hand finding her shoulder as soon as she was within his reach. His fingers wrapped around her shirt tightly, digging into the skin underneath. It was too much pressure.

She was led down the stairs and back outside, unaware of the watching eyes from above. Kiara and Rafe were staring down at her from the windowsill, eyes wide. "No, no, no. They're gonna kill her! They're gonna shoot her like they shot Jimmy!" Kiara stressed, stepping away from the glass with her hands in her hair. Rafe continued to watch, hands tight around the wooden-painted frame.

"Just wait, Kiara. She might get out," he mumbled, breath fogging up the glass from how close he was to it. The blonde was beginning to disappear, walking out of sight, unaware of the dangers that lurked ahead.

The curly-haired girl rushed back to the window before they disappeared, her palm slapping against the glass hurriedly. "Hey! Hey!" She shouted, the window rattling from her strength. Renna tried to turn around, brows furrowed as she listened to the frantic banging, but the man holding her shoulder shoved her forward. If only she'd had time to look.

"What's going on?" She asked the guard behind her, his hand retaining it's firm set on her shoulder.

"Nothing you need to worry about," he replied smoothly, although the smirk on his face spoke differently from his few words. Her brows twisted together, her face morphing into one large, worried frown. She knew she definitely needed to worry.

She sighed, looking forward, as she was pushed under a veranda. Her shoes squeaked against the polished wood, her head tilting up to see the four guards standing at either pillar holding the roof up standing. On the middle of the floor was something she'd grown used to seeing, something that constantly lathered the pristine tiles of her own foyer at home. A whole lot of blood.