Chapter 12

When the next club day came, Aera decided to not sit in the bleachers of the football team practice and art club room. Instead she was sitting on the floor of the gym's second floor, where the volleyball team was doing drills and practicing themselves.

The men's volleyball team took up one side of the covered court while the women's volleyball team took the other. She sat herself on the side where Yuri was practicing and sat behind the railings to avoid the balls from hitting her.

Anyone who could see her could easily understand that she wasn't exactly in the best of moods. It was rare to see her not sitting on the bleachers watching the football team, but it was rarer for her to be swinging her legs in between the railings of the second floor of the court.

Yet her eyes constantly watched a different person. She was small, probably the smallest in the volleyball team, but she was quick on her feet and was so close to the ground. Jinae was perfect as the team's libero.

Just as it was yesterday, Aera could perfectly see the two of them together. She matched Renjun's height perfectly, she's even sure that when they're together they perfectly fit together from their hands to how they look.

"Is she okay?" One of Yuri's teammates couldn't help but ask Yuri as they stood at the side after their practice.

Yuri just blinks her eyes and stares at her best friend. Her swinging her legs looking up at the ceiling with obviously no thoughts running through her head, made even Yuri curious whether or not she was okay.

"Aera!" Yuri calls her attention after they were finally dismissed by their coach.

She doesn't flinch nor react.

"Aera!" Yuri starts jumping up and down.

Finally, she turns her head towards Yuri and almost immediately a smile comes onto her face.

"Come here!"

Aera follows just as Yuri told her. She stands up from sitting at the edge of the second floor. She knows that she's going to be asked questions. But what was the point when there was no problem–

"Is everything okay?" Yuri asked her before she could even finish her own thought.

There was no point in lying to Yuri, but this whole thing with Renjun has been a huge lie.

What can one more do?

"Yeah, I'm fine, why?"

"Really?" Yuri raised her eyebrows at Aera as she carried the huge bag onto her shoulder.

"I mean, the whole sickness thing and the school work catching up on me makes me exhausted." She lies.

"Well, I can always try and help you."

The two begin their slow walk towards the field. Aera was dragging her feet on the paved walkway towards the field. Her eyes remain on each of her steps.

"Did you and Renjun fight?"

Aera's ears perked up at the name. Her head snaps towards Yuri before looking away. It was followed by an awkward laugh, even for her standards.

"You did, didn't you?" Yuri stops Aera from taking a step forward by standing in front of her.

"What are you saying?"

"Oh, come on, Aera," Yuri puts her hands on her shoulders, "you're a really bad liar."

If that was true, why hasn't she caught up with her relationship with Renjun.

"It's not really a fight." Aera finally gives in.

"Then what is it? You wouldn't be this distracted if it wasn't a fight."

"Can we just drop it?"

Aera shake's Yuri hands off of her shoulders and she walks past her. She can't confide in Yuri. How would she even tell her? Should she create another lie that would spiral all this lying out of control?

The more she talks to Yuri the more the story gets twisted and turned and further away from the truth.

The guilt was slowly beginning to eat her up.

Her scowl expression as she made her way towards the group that was already waiting for them. Renjun was the first to take notice of her different atmosphere. It was like he needed to sprint himself away from the group and console her.

"Aera..."

They haven't spoken to each other since what happened yesterday.

The only response he got from her was a quick glare towards him before he watched her take a deep breath in and smile at him. Then he catches a glimpse at Yuri who was looking at the two of them worried.

"Aera." This time, he held onto her arm, stopping her from taking a step towards the group that was now quietly watching the two of them.

"What's happening?" He lowers his head as he whispers into her ear.

Renjun moved back and there it was, her eyes were brimming with tears.

His mind went blank, one that was often so full of voices was suddenly quiet. His hand runs through her cheek, but she moves away from her touch. "We need to talk." Renjun lets her go before taking his bag from the group and holding onto her hand.

The two don't speak another word to anyone else in the group before they both disappear back into the school.

"We should stop this already—" Aera finally speaks up before Renjun stops walking.

She expected him to turn back towards her, but instead she watches as his head stays focused in front of him as if he was staring at something– or someone. She peeks over his shoulders and there she was the reason behind him stopping from walking.

"Renjun?" Jinae's voice was kind, yet it was really frustrating to see her here.

How convenient is it for her to be here, for her to be walking down the same hall as they were. How convenient is it that she probably heard what may sound like her announcing her want to break up with Renjun. That wasn't the case.

"Jinae." There was familiarity in the way Renjun called her name.

Aera's eyes immediately watch Renjun from the back side of his head. She can't see what expression he was making, nor if their eyes were meeting. All she could come into conclusion was– he has finally gotten what he has been wanting.