Chapter 7: Yo, Girl, Keep It Together

TW: contains mentions of suicide and after effects of sexual violence, as always stay safe my lovelies ❣️❣️

Mrs Sawyer turned down the news on the TV, not wanting Veronica to hear it, a story about two star jocks going missing being aired.

The jocks in question?

Kurt and Ram

"Two teenagers, Kurt Kelley, 17, and Ram Sweeny, 18, have gone missing, their last whereabouts is unknown, their fathers are asking anyone who knows anything to come forward. The star jocks haven't been seen in 72 hours now, anyone who knows anything please contact the police on the number below, please, let's get these boys home."

She scoffed as the news report spoke about them like some naive lost children that needed to be home and safe. But she couldn't quite help thinking her prayers had been answered, hating them being an understatement after what they turned Veronica into, after they'd broken her beyond repair. She had tried to help her daughter, tried to get through to her, to promise she was safe now, but nothing was being taken in, none of it, Veronica had almost shut down, she stayed in her room all day and didn't come out, not even for dinner. She didn't eat, she barely slept, barely spoke, hell, she barely even functioned these days. Mrs Sawyer was seriously worried about her daughter but for the first time in a long time, she felt hope for her as she watched the news story about Kurt and Ram going missing.

"Hope they're never found" She said, turning off the TV, about to call Veronica and try to get her to come down for dinner before she got a knock on the door.

Mrs Sawyer opened the door to find two police officers on her doorstep "can I help you gentlemen?" She asked them

"Can we come in?" They asked her, although the question was more rhetorical than anything. They were intending to come in. They didn't have a warrant, but still, they were coming in.

"Be my guest" She said, holding the door open for them, not wanting them in her house but being polite, rather not wanting to get into a fight with two policemen, she complied. She was still furious with how they'd treated Veronica; JD filling her in on the details when she asked him if Veronica was going to report what happened.

"Is Veronica Sawyer home?" One of the officers asked impatiently.

Mrs Sawyer stiffened at the police's mention of her daughter, she didn't want them anywhere near her "better be here for a damn apology" she folded her arms

"Is she home?" One of the officers asked impatiently

"Ronnie, can you come down here a minute?" She called upstairs to her

"Why?" She called back, not wanting to come out her room, feeling safe there and only there, not always though, even her own bedroom she felt unsafe in sometimes, when she'd awaken from her nightmares, on the knifes edge between reality and dreams, the lines blurred, and she wasn't sure if she was in her room or back there.

She didn't know what to say in response, it was no use saying dinner because she wouldn't come down for that, her mom tried to make her eat, to stop her daughter from fading away but it seemed there was nothing she could do for her. She felt completely helpless. Powerless to stop her daughters pain. She couldn't even imagine how much Veronica was hurting, how low she was, she didn't understand this. She understood when Veronica was physically unwell. But this? She didn't know where to start to even help her

"Just come downstairs, it's important" she finally told her, neglecting to tell her it was police as she knew she'd never come out her room if she heard that.

Veronica sighed, wondering why her mom couldn't just tell her what it was, standing up from her desk and putting her pen down on top of her latest diary entry, going to her mirror and drying her eyes "I'm fine" she said to her reflection, practicing before going downstairs