Chapter 10

By the following morning, a thin drizzle soaked the treetops and dripped down into the camp.

Sandpaw woke up feeling damp. It had been an uncomfortable night. He stood up and shook himself vigorously, fluffing out his fur. Then he left the apprentices' den and trotted across the clearing to Raggedpelt's nest.

Raggedpelt was just stirring. She lifted her head and squinted at Sandpaw as he approached. "My bones ache this morning. Has it been raining all night?"

"Since just after moonhigh," Sandpaw replied. He reached out and prodded her mossy nest cautiously. "Your bedding is soaking wet. Why don't you move nearer to the nursery? It's more sheltered there."

"What? And be kept awake all night by those mewling kits! I'd rather get wet!" Raggedpelt growled.

Sandpaw watched her circle stiffly on her mossy bed. "Then at least let me fetch you some dry bedding," he offered, keen to drop the subject of kits if it upset the old she-cat so much.

"Thank you, Sandpaw," replied Raggedpelt quietly, settling down again.

Sandpaw felt stunned. He wondered if Raggedpelt was feeling all right. It was the first time she had thanked him for anything, and the first time she had not called him kittypet.

"Well, don't just stand there like a startled squirrel; go and fetch some moss!" she snapped.

Sandpaw's whiskers twitched with amusement. This was more like the Raggedpelt he was used to. He nodded and sprinted off.

He almost crashed into Smallear in the middle of the clearing. This was the queen who had watched Raggedpelt's angry outburst at the tabby kit the day before.

"Sorry, Smallear," Sandpaw mewed. "Are you on your way to see Raggedpelt?"

"What would I want with that unnatural creature?" replied Smallear crossly. "Actually it's you I was looking for. Oakstar wants to see you."

Sandpaw hurried toward the Highrock and Oakstar's den.

Oakstar was sitting outside, her head bobbing rhythmically as she licked the reddish-brown fur below her throat. She paused when she noticed Sandpaw. "How is Raggedpelt today?" she meowed.

"Her bedding is wet, so I was going to fetch her more," Sandpaw replied.

"I'll ask one of the queens to see to that." Oakstar gave her chest another lick, and then eyed Sandpaw carefully. "Is she fit enough to hunt for herself yet?" she asked.

"I don't think so," Sandpaw meowed, "but she can walk well enough now."

"I see," meowed Oakstar. She looked thoughtful for a moment. "It is time for you to return to your training, Sandpaw. But you'll need to work hard to make up for the time you have lost."

"Great! I mean, thank you, Oakstar!" Sandpaw stammered.

"You will go out with Goldenflower, Silverpaw, and Patchpaw this morning," Oakstar continued. "I've asked Goldenflower to assess the warrior skills of all our apprentices. Don't worry about Raggedpelt; I'll make sure someone sees to her while you are gone."

Sandpaw nodded.

"Now, join your companions," Oakstar ordered. "I expect they're waiting for you."

"Thank you, Oakstar," Sandpaw mewed. He turned with a flick of his tail and darted toward his den.

Oakstar was right; Silverpaw and Patchpaw were both waiting for him by their favorite tree stump. Silverpaw looked stiff and uncomfortable, his long fur clumped by the dampness of the air. Patchpaw was pacing around the tree stump, lost in thought, the tip of her tail twitching.