{IV} Seasoned Shrimp.

“You'll have to be careful around water.”, Adalyn asked.

Vanessa was sitting next to her, all this news trying to build up in her head, but she was worried her own head was going to fall off. How can this be possible? I thought the legends were just that! Legends!, she thought. But the mermaid next to her who didn't haven't a tail anymore, walking on two legs, were telling her everything.

“Even a single drop can be dangerous.”, she said. “And that means try not to let anything when you drink touch your skin, only your lips.”.

“O-okay, avoid water.”, Vanessa said. “But I don't grow a tail or anything when I touch water. I just get these scales on my arms.”.

“That's the first physical change that happens.”, she said. “In days, they'll appear on your legs and soon, your legs will attach and you'll begin to grow your beautiful tail and soon it make it up to your chest. It should only take two weeks.”, she said, excitedly. “Blue your color. Matches your blue eyes and light blonde hair.”.

“Why me though?”, Vanessa finally asked. “Of all people, why me?”.

She smiled warmly, “Cause you stuck out. I came to your school, searching for a girl who would stand out and when I saw you, I knew you were that girl. Your smart, beautiful, and you look like could use an adventure.”.

“But...but, what does this mean?”, she asked and Adalyn gave a confused look until she smiled.

“Your the last mermaid to join of Coasta Sirenas. I was suppose to be the last before we all left, but Queen Severina century since we plan to make our return.”, she said.

“Century?”, Vanessa asked, gaping at Adalyn. “How—how old are you?”.

She looked a little nervous as she chuckled and scratched behind her neck, “A hundred and twenty two.”.

Vanessa mouth dropped in shock and she looked frighten, “I'm going to live forever?”

“If that's what you wish.”, she said. “We could live as long as we want, but if we feel like we're finish as our time as a human, Queen Severina will take the magic away and we'll turn back human and continue aging.”.

“I-I can't live forever!”, Vanessa gasped. “My father needs me and I have school. I can't go out living in the sea for god know how long!”.

“Vanessa, dear, calm down.”, she said, putting her hands on Vanessa shoulder to stop her from shaking. “I know this seems scary, but it's not until you realize how amazing this gift can be.”, she said, smiling. “Once you get into the water, it's like—being somewhere else, in a new other world. It's beautiful.”.

“But my father--”

“We all have to sacrifice somethings, I had to sacrifice an engagement with a man I loved so much.”, she said. “I couldn't wait to marry him, have a family, grow old and watch our little grandbabies run around in the back yard, but being a mermaid, it's so much better.”.

'H-how are mermaid even possible?”, she asked. “I mean, how did we never find a mermaid before? How did you keep yourself hidden for this long?”.

“Queen Serevina was here even before human, but it was after the ice age she began to feel lonely. She saw the women in tribes, seeing they resemble her as a female, but they walked on legs. She used her magic to change them and she felt so happy after. And over the years, she just continued created more of use. We taught us to keep hidden by never going so close to the surface unless we know it's safe or only when we have a job to do. Like mine, when she gave me the magic to change you.”, she said.