Prologue

12 years ago - 3rd pov

In a broken down shed, there were the sobs of a little girl. She was chained up inside the shed. Her clothes were ripped up and you could see scars littering the young girl's skin. An old man opened the front door and the girl froze up. She knew better than to make the man angry. The man shut the door and looked up at her, moving his hand behind his back hiding what he's holding. "What are you crying for, young lady?" The girl tried to calm herself down."I'm scared. It's dark and there's no light outside." Tha man sighed and rubbed his temples.

"You can't handle a little darkness? You are 7, you should have gotten over this by now!" He moved his hand into the girl's view and she saw a whip. "You need to learn to get over your fears or else you'll become a useless girl!" The man whipped the young girl for an hour, ignoring the constant screams and begging for him to stop.

After he believed she learned her lesson, he stopped and opened the shed door. "You will learn to be strong. You will not waste the gift you were blessed with by the gods." With that, he slammed the door shut. The girl bit her arm and cried silently through the whole night.

Present time - (Y/N)'s pov

"!!!" I woke up, scared to death and was trying to calm my breathing. It was just a dream, it was just - My eyes went big as saucers and checked my wrists and legs to find no chain attached to them. I breathed a sigh of relief, knowing I wasn't trapped in the dark. I look around to notice that it was morning. What a great way to start the day. I got up off the hard ground and started packing my things.

As I finished packing my things, I opened up my map and started walking. I did my best to stay away from any potential enemies and everything seemed to be going well for me. Maybe today won't be so bad.

A few hours pass by and I plopped myself on the ground, letting myself take a break. I grabbed an apple from my bag and started munching on it. I kept staring at my map, checking that I'm going in the right direction. I felt confident in my sense of direction, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

As I started stretching, I heard footsteps heading towards my direction. I grabbed my bag and jumped up onto a tree branch. Two soldiers came out of a bush and searched around the place. "Are you sure you saw someone? I don't see anyone here." One places his hand on his sword as he looked at his friend. "I'm positive. Maybe they're hiding because they heard us?" The first soldier laughs at him and keeps looking around. "You're overthinking it now! Come on, let's head back." His friend doesn't seem convinced, but listens.

I relax on my branch, but then my map falls out of my pocket. Right in front of the soldiers. Crap. One of them picks it up and looks up in my direction. Double crap. They pull their swords out and point them towards me. "Who are you?!" I look at my map in their hand then at them. "I'm a simple traveler trying to travel here. Is that illegal, my good sir?" One seemed confused while the other seemed annoyed. "Well you should know that you are required to give us soldiers a payment." Is this guy serious? "A payment? This is the first time I'm hearing of this."

Soldier two chuckles and and bumps the other guy's shoulder. "Yeah, you have to help us with our patrols. We protect you and your family with our lives, so it's the least you could do." I stared in disbelief then started chuckling. Chuckling went to laughter. "Oh, so I owe you because you protect me? Oh, that's rich!" I tried to hold my laughter in, but it was hard to!

I jumped off the tree and threw my bag to the side. The soldiers looked offended and seemed ready to fight. "And how is that funny?" "Because..." I pulled out my sword and took it out of its sheath. "I don't remember anyone ever protecting me in my life."

I pressed a button on my sword and it fell apart into multiple pieces. The soldiers looked down at my weapon and started laughing. "You really want to pick a fight with two trained soldiers, little girl?" I smiled at them, held the handle, and swung the the sword pieces to the right. The soldiers grew quiet as they saw that the sword pieces were connected together and ducked down as it flew over their heads. I moved my sword around in a circle and kept it close to me. "Well I suppose we could have a little spar. Seems like fun." I started stretching and they ran up to try to catch me off guard. One swung at me and I dodged to the right. "Goodness! I thought ladies go first, what rude men you both are!" I kept moving about as they tried to stab me.

"Ugh, just die already!" I laughed at their efforts and decided to keep things short with them. "Alright, let's end this already." I jumped away from bother of to get some distance from the two of them. I broke up my sword and didn't give them a break. I kept swinging and swinging, not giving them a chance to attack. Multiple cuts appeared on their skin, but I didn't stop. I got up close to their face and knocked them down on their backs. I winded my sword into one piece and got a good look at their faces. Fear and desperation. "Who are you!?!"

I sliced the first one's neck then faced the other. "My name is (Y/N) and I have the blood of the black dragon." I cut his throat and got off of him. I dusted off my clothes and grabbed whatever seemed useful off of them. I took my map back and saw it got covered in blood. Well that's just great. I looked around and decided to take a random direction and hope for the best.

'And to think I thought it'd be a good day.'