Chapter 35

DALTON

"Daddy, can we have a piece of cake?" Katie gave me those big puppy dog eyes that she knows I can't say no to. It didn't help that when I looked to her right, I was met with a second pair of equally sad puppy dog eyes.

"Please, Dalton, pretty please."

"You two are going to be the death of me," I grumble. Neither of them gives up their begging and I crumble the same way I always do. "Fine, but you're eating two servings of vegetables tomorrow!"

They squeal happily, running off to the dessert table to fill their plates with another slice of cake. I shake my head, but what the hell? We're here tonight to celebrate, right? That's when I feel her presence and her arm snaking around my waist and kissing the back of my shoulder, "You've got to learn to tell them no, Handsome."

I lift my arm up so she can slide under it and I tuck her in close, "I know, Liz, but they did that thing with their eyes. In tandem, no less. I'm not strong enough to compete with that."

"Let me get this straight, you can run into burning buildings, carry twice your weight on your shoulders, and run up multiple flights of stairs in full gear, but you aren't strong enough to tell two girls no?"

"Yeah, Babe," I grin down at her, "That is exactly what I'm saying. There is no situation as scary as Katie and Eva teaming up to get their way."

"Wuss," she teases.

Today was a great day. We're celebrating Chaz and Kelsey's wedding and in just a week will be the kick-off to Strawberry Fest. It'll be Elizabeth and Eva's first Strawberry Fest and I'm excited for them to see what this town is really about. But first, we get to celebrate Chaz and Kelsey. While I hate wearing a suit, I couldn't look like a slub standing next to my gorgeous woman. She wore an emerald dress that sat off the shoulder, showing off her delectable shoulders. I tried to bite them while she was getting ready, but she shooed me away.

My dark gray suit complimented her dress and the heels she was sporting today brought her up a few inches. Some guys may be self-conscious being seen next to an already tall woman wearing heels, but I just liked that it brought her that much closer to me to kiss.

The girls were sitting back at our table with their cake so I took Elizabeth's hand and move toward the dance floor. "I know I can't say no, but how about I ask for forgiveness with a dance?"

Elizabeth giggled as we stepped onto the rented dance floor placed in the backyard of Chaz and Kelsey's home, "You can't just woo me with your slow dancing, Dalton."

"Are you sure?" I lead her into a twirl and then pull her into my arm. "I think you've been thoroughly wooed this evening."

"You're quite full of yourself, aren't you?"

"I'm living the good life, Beautiful. There is no place I'd rather be right now than with you on this dance floor." I lean in and lower my voice just a bit, "I mean, I guess I could think of one place."

She giggled and smacks my chest, "You're insatiable, aren't you?"

I begin to respond to her question when I feel a hand clap on my back, "I'm not interrupting anything, am I?" Chaz asks with a Cheshire grin on his face.

"Not at all," Elizabeth states before turning her attention to the bride in her ivory lace wedding gown. "Have I told you yet that you made a beautiful bride?" She pulls her in for a hug.

"Just a time or two, but thank you once again. I'm on cloud nine right now, I can't believe everything fell into place the way that it did."

"I can," Elizabeth responded. "I'm not sure there is ever going to be a task too large for our group to take on."