Chapter 10

DALTON

I was trying to remind myself that we were just supposed to be friends, but the way Elizabeth just slid perfectly into my group of friends was making it complicated. The girls had taken her into the other room, certainly to gossip and find ammo to use against me later, but even with her in the other room, I couldn’t stop looking for her. She was seated just perfectly that I could catch a glimpse of her here and there. It was her laugh more than anything that caught my attention. The way it made me feel caught me off guard. I really didn’t know what to do with myself.

We were put on kid duty, that was probably the safest option that would keep me out of trouble anyway. Blair had outdone herself once again when it came to party planning. I think she could make a living out of it, but she was content working with her best friend at Strawberry Inn.  That I could relate to, I loved working with Harrison. The thought reminded me how much I looked forward to getting back to work.

Katie and Eva were happily decorating their apples dipped in either caramel or chocolate. They each had two apples in front of them. Toppings for their apples included sprinkles, crushed-up cookies, and even more chocolate. Both of their faces were a sticky mess even though they hadn’t taken a bite of the actual apples. I guess we were going to be taking a bath tonight for sure. I just hoped neither of them got stomach aches because those were the worst.

A strange silence fell around me and I realized that all the guys were looking at me with dumb grins on their faces. I had found myself in the center of attention, not what I wanted. “What?”

“You’re just out of it right now, huh?” Harrison chuckled.

“How could he possibly concentrate with his mind on a certain lady he came with tonight?” Cody asked, wagging his eyebrows.

I quickie glanced at the girls, hoping they weren’t hearing what the guys were saying, but they were more concentrated on getting the perfect sprinkles placement on their apples. “We’re just friends.” It wasn’t convincing any of them. Even Hayes was chuckling off to the corner. He’s not even old enough to legally drink, what does he know?

Chaz clapped his hand on my shoulder, “It’s alright, man, it took me a bit of time to realize it too.’

“There is nothing to realize, guys. I’m not looking to date anybody or start any type of relationship. I have one focus right now and that is her.” I didn’t need to say Katie’s name, they all knew. Neither of them had been around when I lost Brandi and I was doing things on my own, but it was common knowledge that I was focused on being the best dad I could be and not worrying about being in a relationship.

“You can focus on more than one thing at a time, Dalton. You don’t have to be alone for her sake.”

I began to reply to Harrison, but the room was once again filled with the sound of feminine voices. They all were carrying wine glasses, except for Emory, and were laughing about something. I unintentionally caught Elizabeth’s eyes and noticed that her cheeks turned a light shade of pink. Was she really blushing by just looking at me? Once our short moment was over, she made her way around me and sat between the girls, asking them all sorts of questions about the apples they had created. She was a great mother and Katie wasn’t her normal shy self around Elizabeth. 

“Hey, Dalton,” Angela asked from her spot behind Harrison, “how is everything going with physical therapy?”

“Not bad, looking forward to getting this thing off soon,” I knocked on my metal brace.

A high-pitched laughter came from the other side of the room and we all looked over at Elizabeth, “Sorry, but you’re still probably three weeks away from that.”

“My physical therapist said the same thing,” I teased, “but little does she know I’m a beast and I’m planning on blowing her estimates for recovery out of the water.”

Elizabeth laughed again, “The only thing you’re going to accomplish is blowing your knee out if you get too cocky.”

“Damn, she’s got your number, Dalton,” Cody laughed.

“What does cocky mean, Daddy?”

Elizabeth gently placed her hand on Katie’s back, “It is a word that is used to describe somebody who thinks very highly of themselves, but not always in a good way.”

“I see,” Katie nodded her head, “Yeah, you are a little cocky, Daddy.”

“Katie!” I laughed at her response, even though I was trying to pretend to be offended. “You’re supposed to be on my side. How could you?”

She rolls her eyes and scoffs, “Because every time I think I lost something, you always say you can find it and then you always do and that’s cocky,” she looks at Elizabeth, “Right?”

Everybody laughs at her comment and Elizabeth puts her arm around Katie and gives her a little squeeze. My little girl looks so happy and I feel a tug at my heartstrings. I know she misses out on little moments like this because Brandi is gone. Life isn’t fair, I shouldn’t be a widower, and Katie shouldn’t be without a mom. I’ve avoided relationships that lasted past one night because I was scared. I’ve been scared to bring somebody into my life and Katie’s and then have to feel that loss again. It isn’t fair that the first person I actually feel something for is off-limits. Maybe if Elizabeth and I had met another time things could be different, but it just isn’t meant to be.

The rest of the night consisted of food, laughter, and digging into some of the candy apple creations. I didn’t know what to expect tonight, but it turns out that it was a lot of fun. Meeting these people has really changed my life in a good way. I don’t feel that overwhelming loneliness that has occupied my life for the last seven years. 

Katie and I said goodbye to our friends, including Elizabeth and Eva, and headed home for the night. She fell asleep in the backseat and while I would normally put her right into bed, she was still a sticky mess and needed a bath. Once she was bathed, changed into her comfy pajamas, and tucked into bed, I grabbed the book we were reading off the shelf and took a seat next to her on the bed.

“Are you ready for Chapter 5, Katie?” She was only reading regular picture books on her own, but I decided to start reading chapter books with her at night. Brandi insisted that we read to her while she was still in the womb, if she was here, I know she’d be reading to her all the time. Now it was my job to carry on these special moments.

Katie yawned and pulled her teddy bear closer to her side, “Do you think we can skip reading, Daddy? We’re getting to the good part and I don’t think I can stay up for the whole chapter.”

I chuckled and placed a kiss on her forehead, “If you’re okay with skipping a night. I wouldn’t want you to miss anything.”

“Maybe tomorrow we can read two chapters,” she grinned. She had me wrapped around her little finger, of course, I’d read as many chapters a night as she wanted. “Daddy?” Her voice was so sleepy, she was not going to last long.

“Yes, sweetie?”

“I like Miss Elizabeth, she’s fun to be around.”

The ache in my chest at her words. They were so innocent, she had no idea what she was doing to me. “I like her too, Katie. She’s a good friend.”

“I’m glad she moved here with Eva. Now I get a best friend and you do too!”

“My best friend is probably Uncle Harrison.”

She shrugs her little shoulders, “You laugh and smile more around Miss Elizabeth. I think that means she’s your best friend.”

“Is that so?”

“Yep!” She said with such confidence.

“Maybe they can both be my best friend.” I kiss her one more time and turn on her nightlight. “Good night my sweet girl, we’ll see you in the morning.”

“Goodnight, Daddy. I love you more than the entire universe!”

“I love you too, Katie.”