Chapter 26

ELIZABETH

I acted like a total jerk to Dalton. After everything he had done for me the entire day until Eva was back in my arms, I pushed him away the second that things were safe. I can’t explain why I did it. I was emotionally tired and mentally spent after the day. Trying to wrap my head around my dad kidnapping my daughter was too much to handle. Dalton and I hadn’t even been dating that long and here I was bringing him down with my baggage. I moved away from my parents for this reason. I ditched my job and took a chance at the small-town life to get my daughter as far away from my dad and his drama as I could. None of that mattered though, it just followed me here.

When we were back in our apartment, I ran a bath for Eva and then she changed into sweatpants and the two of us climbed into her bed together. She didn’t ask for dinner, I knew she was going to wake up in the middle of the night hungry. I’d warm up some leftovers or maybe put together some boxed macaroni and cheese. I always had a few boxes on hand in case of emergency. I only wanted to hold her, but I ended up falling asleep for about an hour as well. I knew I owed Dalton an apology. I would have liked to do it in person, but it needed to be done today, this couldn’t wait.

Dalton said I could give him a call, so I went into the living room, pulled a blanket around for warmth, and pulled up his number. He answered on the first ring, “Hey.” It had only been a few hours and I already missed his voice.

“Hey, Dalton. Is Katie doing okay? I’m sure today was tough on her.”

“She’s okay. She had a good time with Hayes and did fell asleep too. She’s worried about Eva. She’s not the one I’m really worried about, Elizabeth, how’d Eva doing? Did you get her to talk at all?”

“We talked a bit while she was taking a bath. I didn’t want to ask too many questions considering that the police will probably ask everything over again tomorrow.” I sniffled, trying to hold back the tears once again, “I feel like this is all my fault.”

“Elizabeth, baby, don’t say that. You did your best to protect her from your dad. You had no way of knowing he’d pull some shit like this.”

“I should have known.”

“How could you?”

“I don’t know, Dalton, I’m her mother, I just should have done more to protect her. Maybe if I had told her more about her grandpa she would have known he was a bad person.”

I grabbed a tissue and dabbed the corner of my eyes while Dalton tried to soothe the pain that today has caused, “Shh, it’s going to be okay, Liz. All of that is in the past anyway. You have Eva back and we know that your dad isn’t going to bother with you again.”

“You’re right, I know you’re right, but damn it still hurts so badly.”

“Because our parents aren’t supposed to betray us in that way,” he stated with such boldness it actually took me by surprise. 

“That was brutally honest.”

“And it is the truth. From everything you’ve told me about your parents, they did the opposite of what parents are supposed to do. You’re a mother, you would never treat Eva the way that your mom treated you. And you know me, I’d never put Katie through that. At the end of the day though, they’re your parents and you gave them the benefit of the doubt. Had you thought for a moment that he might come after Eva, what would you have done?”

“I mean, at the minimum I would have gotten an order of protection and hell, probably look into changing our names.”

“You’re a good mom, Elizabeth. Don’t ever forget that. Eva is so lucky to have you and she knows this. That’s why she was holding into you so tightly when they found her today. Because she loves you so fucking much.”