Letter

Nora Duke

"What are you doing?" A shrill voice came that made me jump. I hurriedly pressed the letter in the envelope but a hand on my shoulder turned me around, I threw the letter under the bed and made eye contact with my stepmother, Sana. "What were you doing?" she asked, looking past me. I pushed her away from me and sat on my bed. 

"It's none of your business." I spoke, my voice cold and distant. She looked at me and I know how much she wants to slap me.  

"What did you say?" She asked.

"What you just heard." I shrugged, stubborn I am. She came close to me and stared into my eyes.

"Don't play games with me, girl. I don't know what you were doing but I know that for sure what you are planning I would never allow you to do that." She hissed at me. "What I told you was truth, consider it or not." She straightened her position and ran her hand through her perfect brown curls.  

"But I am not planning anything." I said innocently. She stared at me for a while then started to laugh, I flinched. I always hated her laugh. While she was laughing, I always took her in. 

She has brown, brunette hair, and in sun sometime it looked red. She has fox like eyes, that had brown color. She has thin cheekbones that made her really beautiful. Her skin was tan but she still looks bright. She was the most beautiful woman I ever seen and also the cruel person I ever been with. Sometimes I saw my mother in her and sometime Satan. Sometime she is light and sometime dark. Sometime she is soft like silk and sometime cold as water. 

"That was a great joke, Nora." Sana said after having a fit of laughing. She came close to me and put her fore finger under my chin, raising my eyes to meet her. "Who you are joking with? Huh?" She asked. 

"I don't joke." I slapped her hand away and stood up. "Get out of my room I have plenty of work to do." I stood up and she fisted her hand in my hair, throwing me on the bed. I glared at her as she dusts her white blouse. She grinned at me. 

"My beautiful daughter," She trailed her finger from my forehead, "do you know why are you beautiful?" I didn't say anything, "because your mother was very beautiful." She said and I could sense the hatred behind her smile, her fingers trailed down to my neck as she trailed her finger in my hair. "You haven't seen her but I did" she twirled my hair around her finger, my eyes were cold glaring at her. But I can already sense the pain, "And she was one hell of gorgeous." She said, it was almost like she wasn't here but she was and her eyes snapped on me and my soul left my body but I stayed still and kept glaring, "But I am not going to make you what your mother was." She said pulling that strand and then let it go. I tried not to wince as I watched her locking the door behind her way out.

I stared at the door where she had just left from. She didn't hurt me. But it hurt me enough that now I am scared of her, even in my nightmares.

My worst nightmare of nightmares. 

                                                                            _________________________

I never dream. Dreams are for those who are free or who want to be. I am neither of them. My only place when this woman stepped foot in this mansion was this room and dining table. After eighteen I was allowed to go to the library and study.  After twenty I started to go to the office. Just to learn the matters in the office. After all I am the heiress of Duke. Dad always says that but Sana objected to that and the whole drama was created in our house. 

I was homeschooled, that's why I never have friends. No one knows my existence, well that's a lie. I am the most famous heiress and anonymous that one. No one knew of my existence until I was twenty-one.  Some people would say that it's luxurious but I would laugh at it. I am twenty-three now. Now I can fight my way out of Sana. Snapped at dad. Ignore Lucy. Handle business. But I have not changed, I am the same scared and crying Nora from inside.