Perfect Pitch

Chapter One: Perfect Pitch.

The world never perfectly still, even its silence reproduces the same notes, in a inaudible vibration which elude our ears. As for what we do distinguish, they transmit sound to us, occasionally a chord, never a melody.

The sporadic rainfall reminded me of the altering pitch of a  symphony, intense at one measure then delicate at another.  I caught fragments of garbled sound that came from the devise planted firmly within his ear. The wind carried wisps of raindrops into my skin which stung from their temperature. I had no umbrella and neither did Shuu who held a blank expression on his face. He stepped forward unfazed by the now pouring rain. I rushed after him and pulled his sleeve trying to stop his leisurely motion. I couldn't just let him get soaked he could catch a cold, his laid-back demeanor unsettled me.

"What?.. Right now the music is at a good part. Listen." He shoved the device in my ear.

The fierce sibilant tremor of a violin at it crest sung along to the arrangement. He quickly removed it and put it snuggly back into his ear.

"Understand now? Don't get in my way. Later."

I just couldn't fathom his logic getting drenched while walking though the rain like it was a afternoon stroll at the park. I stopped him once more.

"What?! I don't have any business with you and if you have business with me I won't listen to it anyway. You're annoying, so hurry up and disappear." He barked at me.

I seem to have stuck a nerve, I winced at his harsh tone.

"You won't listen even when it's spelled out for you? How tiresome.. What do you want? Even if you have business with me it won't be anything important, am I right?"

"W..where is your umbrella?" I asked meekly.

"My umbrella?" He sighed heavily.

"Can't you tell just by looking? If I had one then I would already be using it. Are you an idiot? "

"I'll go get one." I offered.

"If you want to bring out an umbrella to walk home together, I would rather walk home wet. In other words, if I had an umbrella, which would be nice, it wouldn't change the fact that you'd be walking home wet... If you understand then let go of my arm."

He started to walk away again but I intervened once more.

"Ugh, enough already. Hurry up and let go of me.. you're persistent!"

He shoved me violently to the ground. I landed on my knees soaking my jeans in muddy water.

"How irritating." He mutters under his breath.

His damp filthy shoe pressed unpleasantly against the top of my hand. I let out a small cry from the remorseless affliction.

"Hm? What is it?" He asked.

"Y.y..your foot." I stammered.

"Oh, my foot? It's stepping on your hand, but what about it? Heh...Do you want me to step harder?" He chuckled.

"Like this?" He grinned contently as his shoe crushed my hand.