Chapter 5: New recruits

➷➹➷➹➷➹➷➹

"We got less than a year before the new recruits arrive"
Grace leaned on the table, pushing up her reading glasses as she read through a couple files.

You were barely paying any attention to her as you carefully extracted a sample from a glass vial.

"Uh-uh, that's great"
You squeezed the dropper and released it, watching the thick slightly cyan liquid suck up into the glass tube of the dropper.

"Doctor Norm Spellman, PhD in Anthropology. Heard he almost had you running for your money, tried to log in as much as you"
She read out loud, smirking slightly.

You squeezed the liquid onto a thin piece of glass before covering it with another one.
"Uh Huh, okay"

"And this one, Doctor Thomas Sully. Unbelievably intelligent- Hey! Are you even listening?"

"Sure I am, I'm just kinda..."
You trailed off, sliding the sample under a microscope.
You turned the light on and looked at the sample.

You could see thin cyan lines appearing as if they were pulsating, lighting up and dimming down rhythmically.
You observed it for a couple seconds, looking for any sort of change.

"I can see how you're listening, what're you doing anyway?"

"Never mind, it's the same"
Turning off the light of the microscope, You grabbed the recorder around your neck and pressed the button to record a note.

"Note number 56. Adding any form of metal additives to the tree sap does nothing"

You released the button and turned to Grace.
"You were saying?"

"Nothing uhh, just something about the new Avatar drivers. Hey what's with the recorder?"
She pointed to the recorder hanging around your neck.

You held it up to her.
It was an old recorder from around the 2120s.
Back then, these boys were popular with students, as they were somewhat allowed at schools, after phones and social media were banned from them.
They were usually used to record homework assignments or if they needed to, set reminders for tests or essays.

"You know how I've had an absolutely terrible time remembering stuff?"
You took it off, handing it to her.

"Yeah? But you already got meds for it no?"
She took it examining it for a bit.

"Well appart from the test meds, I got this.
The meds can only like suppress the amount I forget or something..."
You shook the recorder slightly.

"Rrrright. This is the one that you can throw at a wall and it'll stay together right?"

"Yup. Like those super old phones"
You sat on a spinning chair and pushed off the table, successfully aiming it to the computer.
You held up your dog tag letting the computer scan the security chip.

"But you still, your sudden memory thing worries me"

"You sound like the medics. Some minor details are cloudy but otherwise I think it's fine. I feel fine" shaking your head at her worries, you pressed a button on your recorder, making the little screen lit up and show your login information.

Grace fell silent.
You could feel that she was staring at you, judgingly glaring at the back of your head, getting ready to smack the bullshit out of your head.

She somehow developed a motherly instinct not only for the Na'vi children at the school, but for you as well.
She could feel that you were lieing.

"Anyway, I wanted to ask. Have you seen Paz? Did she came by to say goodbye?"
You asked as you typed on the keyboard, trying to change the subject.